Import vs Reference

I'm new to Vectorworks Landmark 2014 and am just wondering how people handle references from other consultants in their projects. I'll be using .dwg files from architects and engineers in my drawings but can't figure out if it's best to import the entire file into my Vectorworks drawing or just reference them. Are there editing capabilities such as class visibility that are lost if they are only referenced? Also, because the referenced files from the architect and/or engineer will be updated as a project moves along, which method more easily updates the changes? I appreciate any comments...

In most cases i try to avoid importing geometry from other consultants directly into my daily files.

What we did prior to VW2014 was to import data into a fresh vw document, clean the drawing to what was needed (deleting linetypes, unused symbols...) and the referenced these into the actual file.

What i like (now) with vw2014 is that you can directly reference dwg files without all this extra work for cleaning. After referencing (and of course caching the dwg file) you have full control for the visibility of layers and classes via the info palette as the referenced files are handled like viewport.

What is not working for me is "refreshing" referenced dwg files without some extra work. I tried to update a referenced file via the edit option in the organize settings and after chosing the newer dwg file the drawing is stripped down to a little red cross in the drawing. So you have to activate this and edit the layer and class visibilities to get everything back.

Hope that helps a bit.

Bj?rn