A Better Way to Mirror/Rotate and Duplicate

Kevin McAllister

Question

3 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Tapping the U key should toggle this mode on and off for these tools, I know they discussed this kind of behavior and I believe its why they made them modes of the tools instead of separate tools altogether.

Do you feel that having a press-hold key, instead of tapping one, would be significantly more useful?

Yes, it would. First off the U key is actually on the same side of the keyboard as the hand I use for the mouse. Secondly, holding down option is momentary whereas the U key you would need to press twice to restore back to the original mode.

In a workflow I would always have it set to non-duplicate mode and use option if duplicates are needed. Or vice versa.

(The UIOP key implementation is actually too convoluted for a modern UI anyway. I should never have to remove one hand from the mouse when modelling. The mode bar modes should pop up in the heads up display next to the cursor when I tab. See the attached image. Or some other implementation like the V key in C4D.)

Kevin

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=9815&filename=VW%20HUD.jpg

Edited by Kevin McAllister