Time tracking on Macintosh

Thanks.

I will give that a go. Can anyone recommend any Windows based ones too?

Bit worrying as it will show me how much time I waste on different internet forums as you can drill down inside Safari and see what web pages you were accessing. I am sure it will answer the eternal question of "where did the day go"...

i use for my projects timeedition , it's both on mac and win.

i can manage customers, projects and tasks, reporting the time spent on into output spreadsheets.

in order to allow for an accurate time measurement one must but start and stop the watch manually. i generally set a 3 minute period of the idle screen pointer.

it's a bit more specific functionality than superego, but more project-oriented and controllable.

rob

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Rob: If I understand Timeedition correctly, it requires your involvement to start-stop a time entry. Which as you say is controllable, but easy to forget and then you have to reconstruct. But the discipline probably pays off at the end of the month!

The thing about Superego that looks interesting is that it just captures what you're doing. Yes, there is some reconstruction involved for each day, but zero involvement to record stuff.

@Mike: You're probably right, best to click to the Desktop during lunch and breaks. Although talking on the phone can definitely be project related..

@Rob: If I understand Timeedition correctly, it requires your involvement to start-stop a time entry. Which as you say is controllable, but easy to forget and then you have to reconstruct. But the discipline probably pays off at the end of the month!

yes, it requires discipline, at least not to forget to start the watch. as i've said, the activity termination is 3 minutes delayed, when forgotten.

The thing about Superego that looks interesting is that it just captures what you're doing. Yes, there is some reconstruction involved for each day, but zero involvement to record stuff.

that's why i wrote about timeedition. it's a completely different approach, it's just to compare both.

you can't stop recording time spent on a project when you don't do it manually in superego, too. it records blindly the whole open applications' time, no matter you work on them or not.

rob.

I've been using Time Doctor for almost 2 years now and I'm happy to share to everyone how it made me become more productive at work.

When you start the software it will monitor everything you do during your work session. When activities like excessive amounts of time on Youtube, online newspapers, or other personal web browsing are detected, Time Doctor will give each user an alert to see they are still working.

It also has amazing reporting tools like Poor time use reports, Absent or late time reports, and Web and app usage reports.

As with Dillon I've been using Asana and can't sing its praises enough. Fantastic task manager with great collaborative capabilities.

But I don't use Harvest (their pricing structure is unrealistic). I find that simply adding all my tasks to Asana gives me enough info at the end of each day to recall how much time I spent of each project/task.

Going to give SuperEgo a go though. Anything that automates this stuff well is a goer in my book. Thanks Robert.

I have been using Billings and now Billings Pro for time tracking for years. it is available in server base and mobile so i can record my field time to the same job. I seems to be quite powerful and also includes the ability to invoice and monitor payments also input retainer fees for the job. cost a bit but it has paid for itself many times over. You do have to manually start stop but its a good habit to get into.