Incomplete Installation VW 2014?

gutierrezag

Question

Hi Alls friends: I recently install VW 2014 Desing and I can?t access to the " entourage misc objects" like vehicles. The VW do not install it. Why?. I?d install all the alternative library during the first installation and there is no vehicules objects. C?d some one helps with this please?

Best Regards

Armando

23 answers to this question

Did you download the installable resource files?

Look at the link and follow the installation instructions.

[EDIT by Jim Kelly: Removed link - users should use the link generated in their Vectorworks application by going to Help -> Download Content. The link differs for different products and distributor/language combinations ].

Cheers

Juan

Edited by Jim Kelly

Thanks for the reply, Jim , Juan:

During the install VW the resources files opened as a step of the installation,I Donwloaded all the resources ( each individually),and followed the steps ( drag and drop ) on the screen?s Vw. Just the entourage miscel object do not was installed. I can see on the library folder alls of it, but not the entourage objects.

There is explanation for this ? Do I need to reinstall VW?

Regards

Guest Jim Kelly

Armando, who is your distributor? Not every distributor is distributing their content in the same way, so knowing which one you have will help us nail down what might be the problem.

Guest Jim Kelly

Okay, I just wanted to check. Then you should be using the content installation system discussed above. As Jim asked, I'd make sure you have Renderworks module enabled by your serial.

Guest Jim Kelly

Are you on SP1? Did you install the package after you updated to SP1? If so, proceed, if not, please update and then redo the package installation, and complete the steps below.

If you go to Vectorworks in the menu bar then Preferences, then click the User Folders tab, then Reveal in Finder. Click your 2014 folder, and inside there should be a VWPackageInstaller.log. Please email that to me at my address below.

Thanks!

Guest Jim Kelly

Just in case anyone else comes along and finds this - there was two combined issues causing this - one an unexplained permissions issue and after that two of the packages weren't completely downloaded.

Hi Jim, hope I am in the correct place..

I am having content installation failures. The application seems to be installed ok [operative word here is "seems"]. I have checked permissions for both the package as well as the app itself.

Any ideas/should I re-install 2014? I have downloaded the package using multiple browsers multiple times.

Thanks

Mark

Guest Jim Kelly

Hi Mark, my apologies for not getting back to you sooner on this. You can email it to me at jkelly@vectorworks.net. If you are having trouble finding it, if you into Vectorworks -> Preferences, then go to the User Folders tab, and click "Reveal in Finder". Then go into the 2014 directory, and you should see VWPackageInstaller.log. Kick that on over to me and hopefully it will shed some light on what's going on.

Thanks!

I'm having VW Library installation problems as well. I followed the directions on the website, but the install status bar shows no progress. It just stops at Copper Beech Milwork.vwx and shows no progress. How long should this take for the full designer package?

Edited by csousawy
Guest Jim Kelly

So for the benefit of anyone else that comes along, it seems in some cases the permissions of Vectorworks get changed in a way that the application can no longer write to its folder.

To attempt to fix this, first I'd recommend that if you have a systems administrator ultimately responsible for the machine that you talk to them. They may have purposefully set permissions in a certain way. Getting them in the loop would be good.

If it's just a stand alone machine:

If on Windows, go to your Vectorworks folder (C:\Program Files\Vectorworks 2014 for example) and right click on the Libraries folder and select "Properties". Then select the Security tab. Find your username in the list (if it is not there, click add and add yourself). Then click "Full Control". Click Advanced and check the box to replace child permissions. Now hit OK on the windows you've opened. This should set the permissions open enough, I think.

On the Mac, do the following:

1.) Shut down Vectorworks

2.) Open Terminal.app from /Applications/Utilities

3.) Run the following command (without the qutoes) "cd /Applications/Vectorworks\ 2014"

4.) Run the following command (without the quotes) "sudo chown -R $(whoami) Libraries" - note that will likely prompt you for your password

5.) Run the following command (without the quotes) "sudo chmod -R u+w Libraries"

6.) Now run Vectorworks again, without opening any documents, and try the installation again.

We'll look to improve the installation process to perhaps be able to repair permissions automatically, although this may be a difficult to implement for 2014.

If anyone has further suggestions to the steps outlined above or this doesn't resolve their problem, please feel free to comment here.

Jim, thank you for your help with this. The above helped some with my issues. For those still having issues after doing the above, I still has some issues with the install and had to go in to each subfolder and either rest the permissions on that subfolder and sometimes delete the subfolder and let the library installer create a new version of the subfolder.

Edited by csousawy

Hi Jim: I've noticed that is not in the library of VW, the symbols of residential furniture, beds, etc.. Check on download content and note that I had not downloaded the Architecture, Interior and MEP Objects library, proceeded to download and does not install. Can you help me with this please?

Thanks and regards

I've just tried to download the libraries for VW 2014 - following Johnathan Pickup's video and they won't install properly. I read the above exchange of comments and think that isn't a very efficient way to load them. So, my question is - Will there be a fix any time soon?

Thank you

Ed D'Elicio

Guest Jim Kelly

Ed,

Unfortunately for the most common issues reported here there isn't a straight forward fix. For the handful of users having problems, it seems something is modifying the permissions of their install afterwards making it impossible for the application to update its files. We have an idea of how we could potentially work around this in the future, but unfortunately that change isn't possible within the context of the current version of Vectorworks.

I'm happy to work with you to get things working though. Can you send me the package installation log as described earlier in the thread?

Thanks!