Duplicate Labels in Label Legend

I'm not sure which version has allowed me to do this, but I am thrilled that I can now duplicate a label (Channel, for example) when editing the layout of a label legend. I can put the two Channel labels in different classes (so I have visibility control) and have their appearances be different. Why? So I can make one really big for the LD's plot (since he doesn't care about dimmer, circuit, etc.), and one that is smaller to accommodate all that other info.

Vectorworks used to not let me do this, but I am happy to report that it now works -- with an issue: If the two labels do not have the same XY position in the label legend, then if one of those labels is adjusted in an instance on the drawing, both labels move to the adjusted position (they will not retain separate XY positions upon manual adjustment).

So maybe this is a "bug report", or maybe it's a post of praise, or maybe it is a wishlist item, or maybe it's a "hey, didja know you could do this?" post. Or maybe all of the above!

I believe you could modify both the Lighting Device format and the Label Legend symbols to get far more fields.

The basic symbol and data functions should work on these elements as well as Spotlight shipping versions. I've done many similar things with receptacles and DMX ports.

Just because there isn't a menu item for it doesn't mean it can't be done!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The Label Legend manager only allows you to create one label per field so creating multiple labels of the same field while editing the layout is done at your own risk. The Lighting Device only tracks one label per field and this is probably why the duplicate labels move together because they both identified as the same label type by the Lighting Device.

You can create unlimited number fields for the lighting device and each of those fields can have a label in the Label Legend. Creating duplicate labels while editing the label legend layout is not supported and may or may not continue to work in the future.

Rick,

I'm working in an environment where everyone (lighting designer, lighting director, electricians, programmer, board ops) all work in the same drawing so that by the time the drawing is finalized for prep and installation and show, everything is in one file. While your suggestion of duplicating the fields isn't the worst thing ever, it is catastrophic if it is wrong (Dimmer changes during prep, but doesn't get updated to Dimmer Big) once we get on site. For now, it's just safer to only have the info in one field. With hundreds of units, checking for this would not be very fun.

For now, I'm creating a duplicate viewport with only the labels I want bigger turned on (they are all classed), then scaling the text in that viewport. Not ideal because I can't adjust the label positions, but it works.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
While your suggestion of duplicating the fields isn't the worst thing ever, it is catastrophic if it is wrong (Dimmer changes during prep, but doesn't get updated to Dimmer Big) once we get on site. For now, it's just safer to only have the info in one field. With hundreds of units, checking for this would not be very fun.

This could be taken care of with a relatively simple script. I do just this with my circuit name and circuit number fields, merging them into a single field that displays better in labels. Of course, this requires someone to remember to run the script.

• 5 weeks later...

Teresa,

You have a registration code for AutoPlot Tools for Spotlight. There is a command that lets you copy two fields into a third field. It's called "Copy Field to Field" and it's under the "Enter Data" sub menu. Make an LL with a destination user field that is classed to not visible. Let everyone do their thing. When you print the designer Plot make the class visible and run the macro.

Sam

Developer of AutoPlot Tools for SpotLight, and Chain Hoist Tools

E-mail: sjones@autoplotvw.com