mapping a line across a floor

i am having problems in mapping a line to create a grid on a floor is white

15m x 14m and i want to map a 5mm wide black line across the

surface to create a grid to show a 1m sq tile.

i can get 1 line on the floor but don't know how to repeat the line to give it a 1m space across the y and x planes

i'm sure this is a simple fix but i can't seem to find it !

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Phil,

Maybe try this:

1. Draw a polygon (on the layer plane) of the area you need the tile shown.

2. Give it a hatch of the size you need for the tiles. You also may want to set the origin/rotation of the hatch using the Attribute Mapping tool.

3. Set the Z-height of the polygon to that of the top of the floor (via the Obj Info palette). You may need to make the Z-height slightly higher than the floor if it doesn't render properly.

If you want to stick with lines or polygons instead of an object with a hatch fill for a particular reason, you can also use Edit > Duplicate Array, a Linear Array will let you duplicate your line at the increments you want. Do this twice and rotate one of the sets of duplicates 90 degrees for a grid.

Thanks jim but i have some glass sections cut out of the floor and if i did it this way

you would see the lines over the top of the glass, i really want to apply a line out of photoshop set say to 1400mm x 6mm and then map it on the white platform and then repeat it at 1m increments so when rendered it would not show up on the glass which is another texture in a separate class, i just need a way of specifying the line to duplicate 14 times at 1m intervals i guess i can set a piece of artwork up with the grid set to 14m x 15m and then knock the background out leaving the grid in black exposed. i know you can repeat a texture but don't the way to set a distance between the repetitions.......

Hi peter I think that's the best way of doing this, it's just a shame that you can't map a single line to the width of the floor and then repeat it with a 1m gap I just can't believe that there isn't an easy way of doing this, it will be so much easier than creating a piece of artwork to achieve such a simple task, I am really persevering with renderworks against artlantis, my current render program, all I would need to do in artlantis is map the line onto the surface, repeat and give it a space of 1m. So simple to do but in vectorworks it seems a major deal....there must be a way in VW but how.......I have posted a few questions on applying decals and graphics and VW must at least do some tutorials that explain in more detail this most important part of a rendering program. As an exhibition designer my freelance friends never seem to have these problems I guess it's because they use different programs.....to VW......

Hi mike can you duplicate a liner that has been applied as a sort of decal on a texture? I have some glass squares cut out of the floor so I don't want to see the grid line when it passes over these sections as it's a different texture I have created a black,line in Photoshop and applied this as a single line all I need the achieve is to repeat the mapping with a 1m gap I know when you apply say a texture you can repeat it so it would cover a wall but using this command I can't seem to find a button that will allow you to repeat with a space so for instance if I has a section of glass and wanted to map a section of etched film I could make the texture in Photoshop and apply it as a texture to give the illusion this is the same principal for the line......thanks for the tip tho. Phil

Phil,

Have you tried making a texture using the tiles shader?

Peter mentioned this and I think it's exactly what you're looking for.

Create a texture

In the "Edit Texture" dialog:

- in the "Color" popup, choose "Tiles"

- Click the "Edit" button to edit the Tiles settings

- Play around with the settings.

NOTE: The settings are a little obscure because they're in percentages. Probably the better option is to use the "Bricks" instead of "Tiles" in the Color popup. Then edit the bricks and gaps to the desired dimensions. Also make sure to make the "Shift" 0%.

Hi Matt that may be a solution I will have a look at the patterns to see if I can find one otherwise I'll just make a grid in Photoshop and map the whole thing onto the floor I know this will work in the meantime can you space a duplicate texture if I could find the command I could use it but thanks for the tip. Cheers

Edited by Phil hunt

Phil, the attached file shows three ways of doing it:

1. Texture applied to a floor object.

2. Floor object with separate 3D grout elements above.

3. Individual 3D tile and grout objects.

With each there is a section of the floor cut out which has a separate floor object which has a glass texture applied to it.