Ok I keep getting not enough memory warnings

Utectok

Hi Good people I'm running VW 2012 on a macbook pro 8gb ram Mac os 10.6.8 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Whats the biggest file size I can comfortably handle?? I'm struggling with some 200mb files which crash and won't save or render. Then if I save them stripping away most of the stuff as a reduced file with fewer viewports and sheet layers and bin a load of 3d models associated with the sheet viewports no problems (70-80mb).

Just wondering what file size I should be able to process easily?

Cheers Will

I'm beginning to think that VW is not the best program for complex 3d shapes with loads of nurbs etc???

Edited by Utectok

Taking a guess from your specs, you probably have a 2008 or earlier MBP?

I still use my 2008 15" MPB 2.5 Ghz Core 2 Duo with only 4 GB of ram as a back up. It handles 400mb files without any problem.

My new fancier MBP also gets those warnings on occasion. I don't think file size is the only issue. There is a recent discussion about memory leaks in VW on macs: http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=189585#Post189585

This usually works:

Save As? and change the name of the drawing.

Even if you get a warning that it could not save because of memory, it really did save.

Quit.

Restart the computer (to clear out the swap files).

Open the new file.

In almost every case when a file gets hard to handle, I am able to find a corrupted 3D object (or 10 corrupted 3D objects). But even when I don't go looking for the problem, the Save As? trick works long enough to get the drawing out the door.

hth

mk