Changing sheet borders default values

bjoerka

Hi,

i am looking for a way to change the default values that are inside the sheet border setting (Border settings button in the info palette)

The default values are set to 20 for the borders and i want that to change permanently to 5 and have the grid zones values change to 0 permanently.

For some of the tool (screws windows) there can be .txt files found inside the vectorworks application folder where settings for default or pop-up entries are stored. But i couldn?t find anything refering to the sheet border tool.

Any suggestion how i can solve this?

We are currently using VW14 with SP1.

The idea behind is to standarize as many as possible as we are working with about 22 licences.

Thanks for any help.

Bj?rn

Edited by bjoerka

On many object you can set the defaults before placing it. Look for the "settings" icon when the tools is selected. This will be the default for the tool until changed. You can also rapidly set them with the eyedropper tool.

You can also create symbols of PIOs. Several of the default libraries are just that, with various settings giving different objects.

I.E. I have standard title blocks for A (landscape and portrait), B & D size sheets, with custom sized title blocks, settings and default texts.

Just create the objects and then make a symbol from it checking the "convert to Plug-in-Object" box. The label in the resource browser should be red. I store these in my custom favorites file and in most of my template files (where they are already on sheets) so they are always handy.

I rarely use the title-block tool. If you really wanted to make others stay with the standards you could delete the tool from the workspace. Smart folks can get around it but it will be easier to use the standards. That's what you really want right? Easier to comply than to stray!

Thanks guys.

I allready found out that there mightbe a way to change the default setting with the Plug-in Manager. But at the moment changing values inside the "drawing border" plug-in doesn?t do what i suggested.

So i guess the best suitable way at the moment is to use the method using symbols to be inserted as plugin objects.

I didn?t think about that :-)

What i like with the "drawing border" plug-in is that the size of the border adapts itself to the suggested paper size. We often use customized sheet sizes that exceed the length of a DIN A0 drawing .-)

Maybe someone of the NNA team can drop in the discussion and show a solution to change the border settings to other default values.

You haven't lost anything.

A symbol made from a PIO inserted with "as PIO" option checked is exactly the same as the original PIO. Without that option checked it stays a symbol without the edit options of the PIO. Think of it as "convert to group-ungroup" for a symbol with only one object.