cinema 4d

i am interested to see if anyone exports to cinema 4d and uses there render engine to render vectorworks models, and if so what were the results like.

i understand that vectorworks uses cinema 4d render engine within the program, but have been told that the renders are even more superior when exported to cinema 4d.

your comments and advice would be appreciated.

Guest Wes Gardner

I am not a Cinema guy, but one of the folks here on the mother ship is and he just loves it...Cinema's forte of course is animation, something that we just touch on....additionally, Cinema has many more effects/shaders/etc than we offer in our Renderworks package. What's cool about the interaction between Vectorworks and Cinema is the ability to up date your Cinema model once the initial transfer occurs, also the organization scheme in Vectorworks (Classes) is maintained in Cinema making it pretty easy to find and manipulate the geometry, add/alter textures, cameras, etc.

Wes

I rarely if ever render in VW anymore since transitioning to c4d. The difference in results are, in my opinion, night and day.

The fact that vw makes use of the c4d render engine is misleading. While it may make use of the engine, it doesn't make use of the myriad of options available in c4d that help make the rendering all that much better:

ambient occlusion

true, controllable global illumination

layered textures and shaders

post effects

alpha channel creation

object buffering

physical camera settings (depth of field)

easy texture mapping

better lights

etc.

Not sure what all the differences are. In the end I went for the full package.

There are some great general tutorials at greyscalegorilla.com . If you want a full overview - http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/tutorials/learn-cinema-4d-intro-to-cinema-4d-tutorial-series/

(Note these aren't specific to VW or architectural rendering but give you an overview of the interface and show you what C4D is capable of.)

Kevin