Referencing via RELATIVE file path + dropbox not working

I've noticed a new problem come up in the past couple months that the upgrade to VW2014 may or may not have compounded.

My Studio is setup to share files across dropbox. When we first started doing this, we could reference files via relative file path, and the files would open correctly on any machine connected to the dropbox.

Recently, VW gives me an error that it can't find the referenced files every time I open, and I have to redirect it to the files in question.

I've triple checked all of the references and they are setup correctly - some of them cache, some don't (depending on the needs of the project), some of them update class definitions of referenced symbols and some don't (again-depending on the needs), and ALL of them are set to RELATIVE file path instead of absolute, ostensibly to prevent this problem from happening.

Anyone else have similar issues? Have any ideas about how to solve it? Is this a change in the way dropbox works, or a bug that's crept into VW development somewhere?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

We have had users experience this problem on and off when working with either Dropbox or another cloud/folder syncing service like Google Drive.

I have yet to get it working reliably here in testing and would advise against it to avoid losing data inadvertently. The functionality comes and goes with different versions of the Dropbox/Drive clients.

• 5 years later...

I too have this problem constantly.  Setting a path in the user folder in preferences as mentioned above did not solve the problem.  I spend about 20 -30 min. every day re-locating referenced files when switching offices.  If any one has a solution to this problem you would save me 2,000 hours over the next 15 years!