Vectorworks ahead.

Hi,

After much consideration I recently took the leap and acquired a copy of Vectorworks Architect 2014 + Renderworks. As a previous user of autoCAD, Draftsight, SketchUp, Photoshop, Illustrator... Vectorworks involves a really exciting change for me, one laced with a little bit of apprehension. There is much to learn and the few simple things I've got to grips so far already invoke a multitude of questions, so I'll likely become a regular user of the forums, in order to draw upon the experience of much more proficient and time served veterans.

My first priority is to get up to production speed as I have a package of work coming up in November, which I aim to tackle with VW. Right now that seems a while away but using the software everyday now, everything I learn flags up two more things I don't know and need to figure out, making the time seem much shorter.

Advice of how to organise my learning and deal with the most crucial operative aspects of VW to get up and running productively would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by RCrussellUK

You can start with the free "Getting Started" tutorials on the VW website (They are PDF) and the free videos also on the VW website.

http://www.vectorworks.net/training/getting-started-guides/

(It looks like the Getting Started guides are now in video also, as well as PDF).

And definitely get Jonathan Pickups manuals. Like RobNZ said, you can either read the tutorial, or watch it on video, or both. Whichever way of learning appeals to you.

Then just keep asking questions on this forum when you find yourself stumped.

And read the manual.

Edited by Monadnoc

Jonathan Pickup is a great resource. He is a consummate teacher and has developed a great number of teaching tools.

Best free bang-for-the-buck: the many videos posted on YouTube by Sean O'Skea and James Russell (Semaj)

http://www.youtube.com/user/seanposkea?feature=watch

http://www.youtube.com/user/Semaj000?feature=watch

James is fun and no one packs in more words per inch than Sean O. They are primarily set designers but their lessons apply across the board to almost all aspects of Vwks CAD work.

Tom

Edit: Also look at Stephen Barker on Vimeo. Especially interesting is the series of exporting from Sketchup into Vwks.

http://vimeo.com/mysolent/videos

Edited by Tom G.
Hi,

After much consideration I recently took the leap and acquired a copy of Vectorworks Architect 2014 + Renderworks. As a previous user of autoCAD, Draftsight, SketchUp, Photoshop, Illustrator... Vectorworks involves a really exciting change for me, one laced with a little bit of apprehension. There is much to learn and the few simple things I've got to grips so far already invoke a multitude of questions, so I'll likely become a regular user of the forums, in order to draw upon the experience of much more proficient and time served veterans.

My first priority is to get up to production speed as I have a package of work coming up in November, which I aim to tackle with VW. Right now that seems a while away but using the software everyday now, everything I learn flags up two more things I don't know and need to figure out, making the time seem much shorter.

Advice of how to organise my learning and deal with the most crucial operative aspects of VW to get up and running productively would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I think you've made a smart choice. I was an old-school architect--did everything by hand. When I went to Graduate School, the projects have gotten so large that completing them with the time given in school were impossible, so I started to look for an alternative. I started out with AutoCAD and SketchUp, and learned VW on my own. I also took 3DS Max, Revit, and PS formally in school . . . That was three years ago. I now only use VW and PS for everything I do. Many Revit users in school often came around and asked me what I used to do certain things that look so cool! VW is the most intuitive application I know so far, and it runs on Mac. I don't know why I learned Max and Revit in the first place--I never used them! It won't be long before you'll become a proud VW user. If I can own just one design application at this time, VW will be it. Hang in there. GS tutorials and YouTube videos did it for me, and of course, this Community Board also, so take the time to explore these venues.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

The more capable I become, the happier I am that I chose VW. There's a long way to go before I'm confident I can manipulate the software well enough to accurately manipulate the information I need to represent, still, I feel the fundamentals I'm learning are beginning to form a strong foundation.

The resources that have been posted are very useful and the fundamentals and design series manuals available online for free are packed full of clear and practical information.

I'm really looking forwards to seeing my work come to life inside of VW.