Workflow for creating viewport and exporting pdf

Ive attached a video of my current workflow to go from my drawing in the design layer to a viewport in the sheet layer to a pdf.

At the moment at top speed i can do this in about 1.30 mins, but i feel its probaly a bit cluncky and im not using some of the more advanced features in vwx, is there somthing i can change in this to speed my process up ?

[video:youtube]

Here is a list of the steps i currently take, which are in the video above.

• Make drawing in design layer
  • Duplicate already existing 'template' sheet layer and rename
  • Return to design layer
  • Create shape to become viewport crop and set class to 'viewport'
  • Select crop object and go to view > create viewport
  • Select scale and sheet layer and click OK
  • When viewport is pasted in sheet layer cut it, move to bounding page / title block and paste it
  • Tweak scale to suite
  • Change text box in Title block to title drawing
  • Go to File > publish
  • Select sheet and click ok
  • Select where to save file on my local machine.
  • DONE

Edited by LLI Design

Its always interesting to see other people's workflow. A couple of observations based on an outsiders view -

- In this example why do you need a crop? Its not needed and increases the bounding box of the viewport on the sheet layer. Its also an extra step.

- I almost never use "Create Viewport". I usually option drag or copy/paste from existing viewports. My templates have a default viewport for this purpose which includes a drawing title in the Annotations. Then I only need to change the Layers the viewport shows and sometimes customize the classes.

- You would really benefit from building a custom title block that's linked to drawing co-ordination.

- I also recommend using the Organization Palette instead of opening the organization dialog. It is a much more efficient tool for switching between layers and sheet layers, creating new layers and duplicating existing layers.

My two cents....

Kevin

Jim,

All I said was in LLI Design's video there doesn't seem to be a need for a crop.

I do use crops when necessary. They are almost always added after since I seldom use the "Create Viewport" command.

I don't actually design buildings, I design things that go in them. Those items are often isolated on their own layer making a crop unnecessary. Managing viewports is enough work without adding additional overhead.

Cheers,

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

Ive begun to check those out, I had a couple of questions

When you say you dont use a viewport crop is that because you have each drawing separated onto different design layers ? When ive tried not using a crop i get everything in the design layer in the viewport, how else could you separate the items you want in the viewport from the ones you dont want ?

When you say you dont use 'create viewport' do you mean that you have an empty viewport in your sheet layer template and then you edit the crop on that default viewport to select what you want ?

When you say you dont use a viewport crop is that because you have each drawing separated onto different design layers ? When ive tried not using a crop i get everything in the design layer in the viewport, how else could you separate the items you want in the viewport from the ones you dont want ?

My workflow is entirely 3d so I don't actually have any drawings in the design layers, only 3d objects. I tend to make elements into symbols and give them individual layers. (A long time wish of mine has been to be able to have a viewport look at a symbol instead of just layers.) Its not an architectural workflow so it may not work for you. I am also very specific with classing.

When you say you dont use 'create viewport' do you mean that you have an empty viewport in your sheet layer template and then you edit the crop on that default viewport to select what you want ?

Yes, partly. The empty viewport doesn't have a crop, but I add one if its needed. I copy or option drag the empty viewport to create other viewports as required.

I assumed because you demoed using a table that you were doing something like event planning but it sounds like your workflow is more architectural in nature.

KM

If you create a template file (with a design layer set up, a sheet layer set up with your title block in it, and a viewport already in it of the "work area" from your design layer) then you are ready to print once you've drawn your objects, properly adjusted the viewport on the sheet layer, and changed the title block accordingly.

In general, create a template for all the stuff you don't want to do over and over again in a new project. There is no reason to create new viewports over again if you don't have to, and if your projects are similar in scope.

(File/Save as Template...)Next time you create a new drawing, it should be there to select.

Matt

Sam, the biggest speed increase you will see is if you start using more keyboard shortcuts.

Also - make use of the Navigation Palette - right click>Duplicate to duplicate a Sheet layer.

Also - as mentioned above presetting Viewports into your Templates Sheet Layer will give you a head start

Also - spend some time creating an intelligent Title Block - project-wide data needs to be entered only once

Also don't race. I notice in my own work that racing rarely benefits productivity. But for this exercise you should be able to get this down to about 40s.

VW's strength is that it's flexible enough to suit a wide variety of industries.

VW's weakness is that it's flexible enough to suit a wide variety of industries.

I've worked with architectural models where it's just a matter of chopping up the model into sections to create elevations. But that isn't the case for a lot of television/installations/live events where the scenery is just too quirky and sculptural to be presented that way. It's more like building 15 custom things rather than one model.

What you build is going to dictate your workflow. But ANYTHING that you find yourself doing repeatedly should be investigated for a shortcut, quick key, template, macro, etc.

VW could help a lot by providing some sort of macro recorder like Photoshop actions. Or something Node based like C4D has.