Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Sweep along 3d path

Hippocode

The path based object is an extrude along path, but I'd like to have a sweep around it (scripted), something like a screw but not changing in diameter.

I can create a sweep but can't find a way to fit it to a path unless nurbs can also be extruded along a path ? hmm didn't try that yet.

Edited by hippothamus
Take a look at revolve with rail?

I believe that you can also twist the NURB path to use as the extrude.

A sweep implies a straight axis in VW.

-Josh

I have no idea how to use the function trough script. How can I get a handle to an AXIS ?

Also, if I understand this function correctly the rail is used as a path, so I'd need a sweeped path around my current 3dpoly ?

http://developer.vectorworks.net/index.php/VS:RevolveWithRail

I've added a picture of what I'm trying to create in a pio, the red part

My first suggestion is to draw what you want manually, even if it's just a simple case. Almost every NURBS action in VS has a counterpart as a tool or menu. If you can successfully code your test case, it should then work for more complex cases in the PIO.

What I think you want is the Helix Spiral, which you can create via Model > 3D Power Pack. It will create a NURBS curve that spirals around a path. The Helix Spiral is just a path-based PIO, so you can create one via the custom object routines and set parameters via SetRField.

If you need the spiral to represent a modeled object (and not just a NURBS curve), you can either use the Helix-Spiral as the basis for an EAP or create two (or more) spirals, and loft between them.

Your vertices can start to add up, so keep in mind simplification and conversion routines.

-Josh

Managed to get it to work, but

The issue is that sometimes the helix is invisble, the handle isn't NIL so its there but I guess its too complicated for VW to draw.

Even a small change in radius/ number of rotations has this as a result which makes it impossible to use, nor can I check if its drawn or not.

Instead I'm just going to try to use Point along poly to print a circle on it

Edited by hippothamus