Locking Files

Marc

I've searched a bit here and was trying to find if anyone knows anything about the ability to lock a vw file.

I do freelance work and I would like to protect my drawings/designs from being hijacked.

It would be nice to have a password or something so that when the client pays up they can unlock the file.

m

The lock is called a "copyright", something that should be on your titleblock. Since architects do not provide goods, but services, they own their designs or ideas (unless specifically transferred). If someone is "hijacking" your drawings (I presume you mean taking your design), my understanding is that it is called theft and can be prosecuted under the copyright laws. Copyrights can be filed for, but once your name is on the drawings of a design of yours, its copyrighted. If you're doing freelance work, you should specify who owns your drawings and designs in the agreement you sign with your client.

We often send clients PDF files of our drawings so that they cannot be modified. We always send DWG files of our drawings to consultant for their use as backgrounds for engineering layouts or shop drawings. No one ever gets a VW file (since most people use autocad they won't be able to open it anyway).

If you want them to pay before they can access the file, simply don't send it to them unitl their bills are paid. Hope this helps.

Here's the catch... I'm not an architect. I do drawings for architects. I can't "sign" them and I don't think I can really copyright or have authorship because what i am really doing in most cases is transferring their ideas into digital format. In some cases i could have a copyright but it's really a pain the rear. It would be a lot easier to say here's your file, you can look at it to make sure it's what you need but you can't print it and you can't do anything with it until you pay me.

PDF is fine but geeze it would be cool to be able to lock vw files.

Recently, some larger A/E firms have started using AC scritping functions which establish multiple security levels for drawings distribututed electronically outside the office; i.e., the new user (your client) receives an .exe file, and upon opening, is required to "accept" or "decline" permission sets or copyright acceptance (similar to installing new software), and may be required to enter a password in order to open the file.

Keep in mind that these large firms are run by lawyers and accountants......do you really want to work for/like them?

This is not a wish list item for our office; we still need VW 2D drafting tools.

Here's my suggestion: If you need to let them see the drawings you are doing for them, simply send them PDF's of the plans. They can review, comment, etc., and let you know how to proceed. But they cannot manipulate them (yes they can print them out, but there are ways of making the PDF image "non-transferrable"). Once your work is finished to their specifications, bill 'em and wait until you are paid until you release the VW files. Make it plain in your agreements with them. If they are skinflints, they'll get the message pretty quick...