Can we disable Python caching?

• 2 months later...

I have seen this when importing modules from my linked external text file (in my case "_main.py"). The simple workaround is to explicitly reload() your module:

import vs, modulename
from imp import reload
reload (modulename)

Adding this at the top of _main.py has solved the problem for me. I suppose you would want to comment this out once you are done editing the module.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

Here is a post from the VS mailing list -- a full explanation of Python caching and its options:

Python, typically, always compiles the py files when executing them. This means that it should always pick up changes that you make to the source files.

However, in Vectorworks the python engine is not restarted, and it does clean up after each execution. This is done so different scripts don’t interfere with each other. This interferes with the python’s ability to pick up the changes and you might see the problem were you change source files and the change is not reflected.

The root of the problem is the ‘import’ statements. You can try putting the ‘import’ inside functions:

def execute():

import myLibrary

import somethingElse

As another alternative, you can try setting the following program variable to FALSE. This is a developer mode option to stop VW cleaning up the python engine and let python restart, so your scripts run in the same environment. This will allow Python to correctly pick up all changes.

On the flip side, enabling this could cause crashes inside the python engine (that’s why it is pulled out as a separate option until python fixes this issue)

varPersistentPythonEngine = 412,

// Boolean -- when True the Python engine is the same for the execution of all scripts

// this solves some issues with Py_Initialize and Py_Finalize

// For example, when debugging externally python leaves threads that cause crash if Py_Initialize and Py_Finalize is used for each script call

// So, this allows the engine to be preserved between calls,

// however Vectorworks will delete all custom modules and objects defined in the engine prior each execution

• 3 months later...

I use a different approach to solve this issue.

I created a command that clears all the modules in a designated folder. (In the example : myLibrary)

It actually removes the modules from sys.modules. Python will therefor import them again at the next import statement. I find this much easier than placing "reload(module)" statements everywhere in my code. (especially since they need to be removed for deployment)

import sys
modulesToDelete = []
for m in sys.modules:
   moduleName = str(m)
   if "myLibrary."  in moduleName:
       modulesToDelete.append(moduleName)
currentModule = __name__
for mod in modulesToDelete:
   if mod != currentModule: # Python cannot delete the current module
       del sys.modules[mod]