spaces classing

gester

hi guys,

how do you usually handle the spaces of various functionality? do you put them into different classes or are all spaces of the same class?

i have seen models where particular spaces (e.g. communication ones, either horizontal or vertical) were displayed opaque whereas other spaces were semi- or transparent and i wonder if it could be achieved only via separate classing?

what are your thoughts on this?

thx,

rob

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Interesting question Rob.

I would think it would be easiest and most consistent to achieve via separate classes for each type of space, though you could of course do this with individual Attribute settings too.

I suppose the larger question for me is, what are you trying to communicate in the view of the model you're talking about? For example, are you trying to show a client where the vertical circulation spaces are in relation to office/living spaces? Or work spaces vs living spaces? (And by "spaces" are you referring to actually using the Space Tool?)

Might you have an image showing a model similar to what you are thinking of?

-Neil

neil,

thanks for your insight.

initially i thought that the separate classing would allow me to retrieve any space differences according to the possible attributes' settings (and they are a lot).

then i've examined closely the space object itself and the criteria for the space object data fields retrieval. it turned out everything was accessible from the 'field value' attribute in the 'paste criteria' option from the record menu. in fact, it's a powerful feature :)

the only thing i couldn't find is the graphic representation of a particular space object display (e.g. transparency i've mentioned in the initial post). all i can do is to set the transparency value manually (as i have done it with the colours), which makes it a non-intelligent property, dumb for any database or worksheet operation, and additionally requiring time for its manipulation.

for this alone i'm not so keen on complicating the project file with additional classing. on the other hand i wouldn't like to block any functionality already in the starting phase of the project.

can anybody comment on this?

for illustration i enclose such a project of mine (a medical centre), which is in the concept stage.

thx, rob

Edited by gester
  • 2 weeks later...

@brian

i've eventually found some time to play a bit with this functionality (i've seen it in one of jon pickup's videos on bim theme), but i don't think it's a proper tool for my issue. it doesn't enable a selection of a particular space occupation entry (no argument list) so i couldn't handle their visibilities.

it would require two criteria: one for the space type selection and the other one for its visual handling.

rob