Auto Lens Color Question

I've got a bit of a head-scratcher and am hoping one of you can help...:

I've created a couple of Spotlight Lighting Device Symbols. In the 3D portion of each is an extrusion assigned to the "9 Sym Bld-Fixt-Lenses" Class. I've set the Spotlight Preferences to modify the color of the geometry assigned to that Class based on the Lighting Device Color field. All works exactly as-expected for Lighting Device instances using the MFL Source 4 PAR Symbol: both the lens and the light beam change color as they should. For the instances using the 10? Source 4 ERS Symbol, though, the lens does not change color along with the beam.

I've tried:

- Double-checking the lens geometry Class.

- Copying the lens geometry from the Symbol that does work to the one that does not.

- Re-creating the lens geometry from-scratch.

- Making sure the grouping structure matches in both Symbols.

- Toggling "Set 3D Orientation" on and off.

Am I missing something??

Thanks for any help...

• 5 months later...

Did you ever find out what was causing the problem? I followed your instructions in The Unsung Heroes of Vectorworks Spotlight 2014 webinar and I'm running into the same issue.

It seams like Vectorworks is not looking at an objects assigned classes of any group contents when using the "modify lighting device color" feature.

Thanks for any help and great job on the webinar.

Edited by B Spencer

Benjamin -

I never could find the issue with the problem-child in the file I posted. If I import a replacement bare-body Symbol from my current library all works exactly as it should (working version posted). Both were built following the steps we presented in the Webinar. My conclusion is that either the Symbol in the sample file is somehow corrupted or I continue to miss something.