Open GL edge rendering not marking all edges

Hallo,

I did a model with some simple Extrudes (pusch Pull tool), and viewed it in

Open GL with Draw Edges enabled.

The result doesn't show all edges.

Anybody Eles seeing that?

Image attached.

Note: I wasn't shure if should post it here or in the "Renderworks"

Forum. The Moderators may move the Topic.

Yes, I have noticed this. I've been meaning to submit a bug report.

In OpenGL lines inside the outer perimeter of the current view of Solid Additions and Subtractions (I haven't tried Solid Intersections or Sections) don't get drawn.

This is what I'm seeing:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=9690&filename=Screen%20Shot%202013-10-11%20at%206.30.09%20AM.png

Edited by michaelk
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This is working as we expect it to, for now. The OpenGL Draw Edges option shows edges between different objects. The subtraction is one object so no edges are drawn between its parts.

It is a wish that the OpenGL Draw Edges would do more analysis of the object to determine edges, which would affect the speed. For now if you really really need to see edges between the parts of a subtraction etc. you will have to convert it to NURBS, or render in hidden line which does the additional analysis stuff.

There is something really interesting going on here that NV should take note of - it shows that it would be possible for VW to draw a heavy outline around an object (essentially the current behaviour of OpenGL lines) and have internal lines (the additional lines drawn by hidden line) be a lighter line weight....

Implementing this would go a long way to improving graphic presentation of viewports rendered in Hidden Line.

Kevin

Patrick,

Looks like this was corrected in (the just released) SP1, tested here and I no longer see those random triangles.

http://www.vectorworks.net/downloads/ServicePack.php?major=2014&servicepack=1

The OP of this thread however, was indeed submitted as a separate request.

Edited by JimW

Hi Jim, check you email inbox! I'm getting different behavior on another file. The SP1 did in fact remove the traced DTM triangles on the first file I sent as you confirmed, But on another file (the one just sent) all the triangles of the DTM get traced when I check the "draw edges" option box of the Open GL settings.

(Note: it's the same DTM, just the different site modifiers applied to it...If you delete the rear most retaining wall site modifiers it removes the offending traced triangles??? Bizarre indeed!)

Edited by Fritsch

Patrick,

It looks like for this other DTM, the issue is related to one of the retaining wall site modifiers directly. Removing it, but making no other changes, corrects the rest of the file. (Images attached)

If you recreate this modifier as a test, then update the site model, do the lines reappear?

patrick,

did you try rendering in fq renderworks? the reason i ask is that the same thing happened to me recently in open gl. when i subsequently rendered in fq renderworks, i saw that the mesh smoothing was no longer working. when i removed the most recently applied site modifier, both mesh smoothing and open gl functioned as expected.

i still don't know why. sent the file to vss tech support and haven't heard back.

ray

Hi Jim, I just deleted those two retaining wall site modifiers at the back of the site and did new ones, and all is fine now. It may have caused something to go wrong when I copy/pasted the original retaining wall, perhaps similar to how stair PIO's are not recommended to be copy/pasted.

Ray, all rendered as expected in FQ Renderworks, even with the problem site modifiers.

Thanks,

• 10 months later...
Yes, I have noticed this. I've been meaning to submit a bug report.

In OpenGL lines inside the outer perimeter of the current view of Solid Additions and Subtractions (I haven't tried Solid Intersections or Sections) don't get drawn.

This is what I'm seeing:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=9690&filename=Screen%20Shot%202013-10-11%20at%206.30.09%20AM.png

Rendering these edges in OpenGL is now possible in Vectorworks 2015.