A Better Solution for Switching Between Monitors

Kevin McAllister

Question

I would really like VW to implement a better solution for switching between monitors of different sizes. I know people have a method with various workspaces but there has to be a better way.

When I plug my laptop into my cinema display I have much more screen real estate. With VW everything is crowded to one corner. With Cinema 4D, I drag the bottom right hand corner and everything expands intuitively. Switching back is just as easy. Switching back is also problematic with VW, where its possible to lose palettes off the screen.

I can only imagine the VW solution will be even worse with Mavericks, which has advanced support for multiple monitors.

Kevin

7 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I have heard that things "should actually improve" with OS X Mavericks, but I haven't gotten any specifics yet, they're holding off on details until its officially released.

I'll mark this to check once they make their changes public, if it isn't a workable system i'll propose a change based on this recommendation.

I am facing this problem for a long time, but since I've got a 27 inch screen for my 15 inch MB Pro it's getting really serious.

I was thinking about creating a script that would assign the small (notebook) workspace as a kind of "standard" workspace. The script would have to be triggered on exit VW. So, when VW wasn't run, the small workspace would always be saved as default workspace. When I'm at home (with the big screen) I wouldn't mind switching to the big workspace manually.

I haven't digged that much into creating scripts, but I assume it shouldn't be that complicated to assign a workspace using a script. (Or is it?)

However, the main problem is: How can I automatically execute a script on exit VW? I am pretty sure that this was possible in VW2009 or even before; now I couldn't find anything about triggering scripts by system events?

Thanks for any hints.

Mario