Sprocket/Sprocketed/Splayed Roof? ...with a Fillet

Hi again, I seem to be full of questions that I am not able to find previously mentioned.

The project I'm working on at the moment has a sprocketed/splayed roof, where it changes angle from a 30? to a 55? angle.

The roof tool doesn't have options to do it. I've achieved it by making two sets of roof surfaces. However, I'm now needing to fillet the two to smooth into each other.

Also, I'm finding the dormer option is rendering the window sitting at the the roof elevation, not the sill height. Is there a work-around for this?

Many thanks in advanced! :)

Guest Wes Gardner

To edit the dormer placement, click on the blue node associated with the dormer object, you'll then be presented with a dialog letting you position the dormer.

Edited by Wes Gardner

Hi Wes, thanks for the message, I did manage to edit the dormer, however, it seemed 1 step forward 2 backward. I found the only way to raise the window was to decrease the "bottom height", and play with the "offset from top" while making height larger (which adversely affected the radius of my bat dormer), sometimes the result was different even though the values were the same as previous attempts. I'm a little dumbfounded by this, there doesn't seem to be a metric to it.

Also the roof surface seems to have the largest size of the dormer (from original insert) bitten out of it. which is a nuisance really. Is there a way around this?

Many thanks

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi Neil,

In many cases, I use the automated dormer feature as a preliminary design tool. Once the general appearance is established I'll break the thing into individual walls/roofs/ etc. to complete the documentation of the project

Wes

Guest Wes Gardner

There are a couple of ways - the simplest is the method you've pointed out - use two roof objects for the two roof planes, however, you will get a "hard" break. To soften the break, you'll need to model the entire roof object -

Wes

Guest Wes Gardner

Actually it's even more rudimentary than that...I set my model in a side view and drew a couple of lines representing the two roof pitches. I then used the fillet tool to create the rounded transition. I then used the offset tool to create a closed polygon and then extruded it. I then set my model in top/plan view and duplicated the new "roof form" at the ridge also duplicating the extrude 45 degrees to create the hip. I then subtracted some solids to get rid of the unwanted pieces and that's pretty much it. Not alot of "automation" but it gets the job done.

File included

Edited by Wes Gardner
Guest Wes Gardner

Hey Neil,

I sent an email - just be sure that the 2D shapes you start with are CLOSED polygons and that they have a fill (any color will do). Then extrude into 3D space with the Extrude command.

Sometimes it's easiest to just create a big solid chunk that becomes the object that you use to do the subtracting from the geometry you want to keep.

Maybe start with some simple shapes first until you get the "hang" of it...

OK I found a way to do it using Modify > 3D Power Pack > Stitch & Trim Surfaces. Next would be to make my own custom dormers!

Thank you for all your support thus far Wes!

Is there a way to make vectorworks to interpret the extruded polygon as a roof face?

Or ..would I need to subtract out of the "roof" to create a dormer? I'm surprised there isn't much on youtube or online documenting how it is done.