straight roadway on a sloped terrain remains flat

gester

i'm having troubles with sending a roadway piece onto a sloped terrain (up the hill, so to say).

i tried with sending the roadway object to the surface, but to no avail, the whole element remains flat, level with the gutter at its beginning (-1.00). there is also a junction in the middle of the road, and it displays at the right height (-0.05).

all three elements are in the site-paving class, both junctions have been sent to surface as well.

do i have to use site-modifiers in some way for the straight piece? can anybody help?

thanks in advance.

rob

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Rob

You need to change the Rise value to get the road to rise as you want. The send to surface will place the roadway at the elevation of the start of the roadway on the terrain model. But then use the Rise.

Site Modifiers will then change the site to fit under the surface of the roadway.

Hope that helps

tamsin,

thanks a lot for your explanation. you're great as ever :)

so as i understand it correctly the roads are to be modelled manually, no matter if they exist or are proposed. i thought for the existing ones it's enough to adjust them to the terrain slope.

ok, i'll get it right, then.

rob

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Sorry - I missed the bit that said they are existing roads. If the terrain already represents the surface with existing roads, then you would not need to use site modifiers. But you would need to use the Rise value to get from the starting elevation to the ending elevation.

Hope that helps.