speed

jnr

Question

7 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

However, a lot of what users think 64bit does is actually the realm of multithreading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multithreading_(computer_architecture)

Basically the use of ALL of your CPU cores for each operation, rather than the current state of many tools and commands where they can only utilize one CPU core at a time, making a 12 core machine move at the same speed as a 4 core machine for these single-threaded operations.

Things like Hidden Line renderings and anything involving CineRender (pretty much anything Renderworks does) are already multithreaded. But the conversion of the various tools and commands need to be done essentially one at a time and may take longer than the initial 64bit rollout.

BUT, all of this is indeed coming. A substantial portion of engineering is working on these areas constantly.

Edited by JimW

Mainly because we stretch across Mac and Windows, and that a set of 5 of our tools is as complex as most developers entire applications. Getting something like Evernote or even Microsoft Word rewritten for 64bit would be the equivalent amount of work of us doing it just to the Basic palette.

Also, management has to balance where engineering resources go, I'm sure if we devoted all of engineering to this task it could be done rapidly, but then there would be no development of new features and every single tool and command in vectorworks would need to be completely re-tested for bugs and issues related to the conversion.

Even Apple didn't convert its entire line to 64bit until the last year or two and there are still things left 32bit in OS X to this day. We don't even have a fraction of the personnel and budget they do for research and development.

Edited by JimW

Jim can i just throw in my Twopence Worth and say it is REALLY marvellous to have someone from "The Other Side" providing such immediate feedback after the seemingly endless Lull (not belittling any of the previous contributors BTW) . . . . .

But i honestly believe that regardless, a Full Update on this front would improve VW far more than ANY other spit and polish that most of the other "Improvements" are supposed to bring year in year out.

And

But i honestly believe that regardless, a Full Update on this front would improve VW far more than ANY other spit and polish that most of the other "Improvements" are supposed to bring year in year out.

I agree! I am pushing for something similar at every opportunity.