Wireless Mice for Vectorworks

Hey Guys,

I need help to choose the best and most precise wireless mice to use with VW. I have went through several and still cannot find my true happiness! The best I have used so far is the Logitech G500, but it's not wireless; the Logitech Performance MX is way too sensitive and not precise enough (especially the scroll wheel . . .) Any suggestion? Thanks a bunch for a good recommendation.

The Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse has done well for me. It has lots of adjustments with its Preference Pane. I used the mouse's extra center button for Vectorworks to click and hold down an object.

I did have to put an extension on the USB wireless transmitter to get a better signal to the mouse - the USB plug is on the left side, and I use the mouse on my right side.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I absolutely love my Evoluent Vertical Mouse 4. (I had v2 (wired) for years and opted to get v4 when it came out earlier this year. My v2 is still here as a backup.) I'm hooked on the handshake position that it lets my hand remain in, rather than having to twist my forearm as is the case with most typical mice. The many buttons map well to VW keyboard shortcuts and the adjustable tracking speed can be quite handy too.

An added bonus is the vertical mouse is so strange for people to use at first that the tend to avoid using your computer.

http://evoluent.com

-Neil

I switched from the Logitech Wired G500 to the Logitech Darkfield Performance MX mouse and had one heck of a time to adjust to it! The G500 is so precise in everything even without the fine tune software for my Macbook Pro; the Performance MX is so sensitive in VW environment even with all the fine tune features of the software written specifically for the Mac platform. Particularly the scroll wheel (I am always zooming with the wheel), it is so sensitive! It's either too much or too little when I zoom, but never the right amount. Don't you have the same problem? I really want to go wireless though.

SL

Thanks for your recommendation along with the web link. That's what made the VW Community Board the best in the world. I looked at the mouse you are using . . . and it is a little far out for me; especially, since I have a small hand. I just want something "comfy", precise, and ergonomics, and light that I can hold on to 24/7 while working with VW. Back to shopping . . .

SL

SL,

I use the Logitech MX mouse.

I use the wheel to zoom all the time.

You can have it "click" or smooth (no click) by pressing the small button at the rear of the wheel.

As I do not use a MAC i am unable to comment on the sensitivity.

I do not find it too sensitive at all.

fwiw

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

SL,

I have not had any trouble at all with the sensitivity of my Vertical Mouse 4. It is fully (and easily) adjustable by both software and a hardware button that if I am needing scrolling or pointer tracking faster or slower on any given day I can change it quickly. The range of adjustability is quite big, from ridiculously slow to lightening fast, so I am sure you'd be able to find a setting you like. (And I'm on a Mac too, so I can vouch for it working well with Macs.)

As for the size of the mouse, I too have small-ish hands (195mm from tip of middle finger to wrist crease) and the "regular" size of the Vertical Mouse is great. They do have a smaller size though if you need. Check out this hand size info here:

http://evoluent.com/size.htm

Given your requirements of needing something "comfy, precise and ergonomic", the Vertical Mouse will fit your needs. (And no, I don't work for them, I was just so impressed with how I felt absolutely no pain after full, long days of work that I simply can't not share my discovery.)

-Neil

• 5 years later...

3DConnexion CADMouse ?

The first series had bad switches and LMB loss.

They are aware of this issue.

Mine was replaced 2 times already. The last time about a month ago.

The newer revision should have better switches now. Also the aluminum

Body should not corrode any more.

You should ask on their forum or directly their support.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for the Evoluent VerticalMouse - I've got a v2 one and have used it for years, initially in response to pinched nerve issues and wanting a more natural hand position. They're wonderfully adjustable via the driver software and the extra programmable buttons are perfect. No other mouse I've tried comes close. And I don't work for them either (but the people who do are lovely - I helped with sorting some bugs on the driver many years ago and they sent me a free mouse as a thank-you, which my partner has used and loved ever since :o) )