Custom Title Block

taoist

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I have found a few users with similar problems, even though they should have full administrative access.

Taoist, would you please send in your installerlog to tech@vectorworks.net so we can see if it is a problem occurring during installation?

(You should be able to find InstallerLog.txt inside your Vectorworks 2013 folder under Program Files/Program Files x86)

Taoist, I've had the same problem when I started creating my custom content. The problem with saving in the default VW folders comes when you upgrade to the next release it's near impossible to find and pull out all your custom content to put into the new versions default folder. It's easier to do as DWorks says and add a new custom items folder and add the links in the resource browser, simply re-link on the next upgrade.

I have found a few users with similar problems, even though they should have full administrative access.

Taoist, would you please send in your installerlog to tech@vectorworks.net so we can see if it is a problem occurring during installation?

(You should be able to find InstallerLog.txt inside your Vectorworks 2013 folder under Program Files/Program Files x86)

Sent as you requested.

The 'problem' you are seeing is just that Windows protect program installations so no user can do harm accidentally. So they are set read-only by default. I find this a good practice, as the user has no interest in those folders. They are only for the program to run. You can however as a user delete and edit those folders and their content in your folder explorer, but you'll have to confirm those action. I guess that not all programs can work with that and see those as read-only.

What we are trying to narrow down is why this happens to some machines and not others.

Also, the regular protection applied to Program Files/Program Files(x86) shouldn't extend to the user data folder locations, otherwise no workspace changes or library additions would keep after relaunching the app.

Also, the regular protection applied to Program Files/Program Files(x86) shouldn't extend to the user data folder locations, otherwise no workspace changes or library additions would keep after relaunching the app.

The user data folders aren't located there and are read/write by default. The best practice for custom libraries for VW is create a new folder where you want it to be. No upgrade/update troubles and all in one place so that everyone can use them.

DWorks,

I agree with you on the Library locations.

With VW 2012 I spent the time to separate the Libraries, especially the exterior textures and the Copper Beach mouldings.

I save them outside of the VW standard locales so no upgrade issues, gives me a backup location as well.

I still have the habit of telling software where I want it installed from the DOS days.

Yes, saving them to an outside folder is absolutely superior and should be done whenever possible.

It isn't only this type of issue specifically that we are having permissions issues with however, some tool defaults among other things will always need to write to these locations and I was trying to track down why they weren't able to.

Sorry I didnt make it clearer in my questions before, this was simply a symptom of something else we're looking for cases of.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to create a custom title block for my business in Vectorworks Architect 2014. I created a new document, drew all of the line and text elements @ 1:1 scale on the screen plane. Imported my company logo, that I created in an earlier version of VW Architect, as an image file.

I then select all of the elements of the title block and go to Modify > Create Symbol to create a 2D Symbol. I then created a Record Format for all of the text fields I wish to modify in the Title Block as a Border element. I then selected the 2D Symbol in the Resource Browser and Attach Record. Then in the Object Info Palate with the 2D Symbol selected go to the Data Tab and make sure the proper Record is selected.

I then save this file in theVectorworks\Libraries\Defaults\Sheet Boarders and Title Block folder.

I am now able to select the Custom Title Block and place it using the Sheet Boarder Tool but when it select the Edit Title Block in the Object Info Palate I get "There is No Record Attached to this Symbol". I've tried it a number of times and get the same result each time.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

John

• 6 months later...

The easiest way is to include that title block in your template file that you start new documents from.

You CAN go to Vectorworks2014\Libraries\Defaults\Sheet Border - Title Blocks and add your desired symbols to one of the files there to have it available later (You will need to restart Vectorworks after modifying and saving one of those files to see your changes usually), but this is harder to migrate from one version to another than a template would be.