Class style not showing?

Hey Guys

2nd post today.. Im doing good ;). So I came across a small problem. I made a class called "Pond" and within it another called "Color". I selected the gradient fill I wanted it to display on all the ponds in my drawing.

Next I selected all ponds which belong on one layer and put them all on the Pond "Color" class. I then changed the fill type of all those ponds within the layers tab to "Class Style" and nothing changed.. they just sat there without a fill. I double checked the class style and I had set it all correctly.

Dont know what's going on.. I'm completely self taught so please forgive me if I'm missing some vital step here..

I made a class called "Pond" and within it another called "Color".

I can see some conceptual problems here. Classes can have a heirarchy, so you could create the following classes:

Pond

Pond-Main

Pond-Color

But these classes are independant, Pond-Color is not inside the Pond class. So when you create the class settings, you have to make sure that Pond-Color is assigned to the objects, that they have there attributes set to use Class Attributes, and that the class is set to Use at Creation.

The problem with being self-taught is that you can seriously mess up the understanding of the important concepts. Try looking at the Vectorworks getting started guides [http://www.vectorworks.net/training/getting-started-guides/fundamentals/index.php] or the Vectorworks Essentials Tutorial manual. [http://www.vectorworks.net/training/guides.php]

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. Yeah.. I guess there are some drawbacks to being self taught. However, when I said self taught I meant I had experimented for over a year with this software and had used many others before it. I know not all CAD packages offer the same, but there are similarities for sure.

Im still having the same issue with class styles. They just never appear for me. I change all items over to the class after I create one from the objects info pallet, I then select "class style" from the fill type and nothing.. I even make sure I checked "Use at Creation" with no difference. I've tried making new classes to see if it was a problem with the class that I had made.. I even watched a vectorworks video tutorial by Nemetschek and still doesnt work. I cant seem to understand why on earth it's doing this still?

Sometimes, if everything is set properly and Class Attributes are still not behaving, you can force them by: Select Object(s); In the Attribute Palette Pulldown (at the bottom) select Remove By Class Settings; then, with Object(s) still selected use the same Pulldown to select Make All Attributes By Class.

If it still doesn't work I would guess that you have something in the Class Dialog that isn't set correctly.

Classes are VERY powerful, but they can be a little tedious to learn. Once learned they are pretty easy to use.

• Like 2

Thanks Guys. It's still playing up for some reason.

I'm currently a student, and use VW 2013 edition. I'm hoping to upgrade this week at some point if possible to 2014, so it may correct itself once that happens. I will also give this same problem a try out at class today and see if I get the same problem using VW2011 on the computers in the lab.

Thanks for the support and will update the signature now

Well.. just got back from my class now and have to head back again in a moment! But I did a check on Vectorworks they were running and didnt have the problem assigning the fill to a class and the objects always took these without a problem.

Not sure if it was a problem introduced during SP1 perhaps.

Ooh well.. thanks anyway for the support.