Create Roof Tool

DE-Tech

I'm hoping there is an easy answer to this. Attached is a simple 2D roof plan which I would like to do with the Create Roof Tool. I would like to align each roof via its ridge height rather than the eaves height. Is this possible with this tool or do I need to create individual roof faces and align them manually or perhaps a mixture of the two? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately there is no option to set roof by ridge height.

Ridge height is controlled by pitch/slope, seat depth, & rafter depth.

You could always do the math to determine ridge height and then apply.

In your sample, you would have 2 different roof pitches to have the ridges meet.

It will require manual adjustment.

Others here may have a better way.

fwiw

The Create Roof command can't do this, but the Roof Face can. Just use the "draw roof axis" part of the process to draw a line along the roof ridge - the up arrow will be placed outside the roof face's surface. This will set the roof ridge to the layer elevation. The Axis Z in the object info can adjust that. Then just mirror the roof face for the other half of the gable roof.

The Connect/Combine tool can then be used to extend to roof edges to intersect.

Edited by Bob-H

The easiest way to do this might be to use the Create Roof command to create two separate Roof Objects, each at its own bearing height. Of course you will still need to do the math (or draw a quick section) to determine the bearing heights. Subsequently, if needed or desired, you could Ungroup the Roof Objects which will give you the various Roof Faces from which they are made, and allow for easy trimming, etc.

Actually, the Roof Object tool can make this...it just might take some sequencing to make it.

The bearing heights of each segment can be set individually.

This is how you would make a saltbox roof with unbalanced gables.

Create the whole roof to one height and then move the bearing heights of the 3 higher segments up to the higher bearing height.

Often times the overhangs can cause issues during the intermediate shapes needed when moving from one segment to another. I took all the overhangs to zero, made the shape, then added them back in.

In the end, however, I had a single roof object making the exact shape you requested.

Joe