Piano

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure it has a .mcd at the end of the file if you are on a PC.

I would open the file straight in VW, then save it as a VW file just in case it's from an earlier version or something like that.

If the symbol is from an earlier version of VW, you won't be able to use the symbol until it's converted to the current version you are using.

• 15 years later...

I confess that I am new to the Resource Manager, having only just upgraded from 2013, but I have watched the video tutorial, have turned on every resource option in the Resource Manager, and I get a variety of Forbo linoleum samples, and a Johanson bar stool - no piano. Can you tell me exactly which resource folder it is in? 

no piano.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Are you running an Architect only license or Designer?  The piano is in the Objects-Ent Stage folder but that is limited to Spotlight or Designer.  It looks like you have Vectorworks Service Select from your screenshot.  If this is the case you can download the piano symbols from the VSS website.  The pianos are in the Previous Versions>Entertainment>Orchestra Layouts 3D folder.  Let me know if you have any questions.

1 hour ago, JustinVH said:

Are you running an Architect only license or Designer?  The piano is in the Objects-Ent Stage folder but that is limited to Spotlight or Designer.  It looks like you have Vectorworks Service Select from your screenshot.  If this is the case you can download the piano symbols from the VSS website.  The pianos are in the Previous Versions>Entertainment>Orchestra Layouts 3D folder.  Let me know if you have any questions.

@JustinVH I confess that, so far, I am not hooting and hollering about how the Resources Manager works. I used the "Help_Download Content" menu to get the "Spotlight Libraries - Entertainment Objects Libraries". The file successfully downloaded onto my computer, and I can now see that I have "Orchestra Layout 2D.vwx" and "Orchestra Layout 3D.vwx" in my "Vectorworks_Libraries_Objects - Ent Stage" folder, but searching in the Resources Manager does not turn up the files with "piano"?! (see attached "Piano2.png)

I used the "Browse a Document" menu to look at the "Orchestra Layout 2D.vwx" file, and finally the 2D piano images showed up in the Resources Manager, but the 3D files that I know are on my computer, in the Vectorworks libraries, still do not show up. That doesn't seem very effective to me. Am I missing something?

piano2.png

piano3.png

@JustinVH I am enclosing a screenshot showing the Resource Manager window with "piano" typed into the search bar. There are only two pianos shown in the results. 

In the lefthand column of the Resource Manager, the folder under "Vectorworks Libraries_Objects - Ent Stage" only shows two files (see "piano4.png"), but using my computer's "Finder" window, I see 12 different files under the same "Vectorworks Libraries_Objects - Ent Stage" file structure (see "Piano5.png"). What is the explanation for that? Why can't the Resource Manager see those files? 

piano4.png

Piano5.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Ian M.I am not sure why those remaining files are not visible in the Resource Manager.  Have you tried closing and reopening Vectorworks to see if it resolves the issue?  Perhaps @JimW can provide more information.  I have attached two files with pianos for your use, you should be able to just open them and import the piano(s) you desire into your drawing.

Musical Instruments.vwx

Orchestra Layout 3D.vwx

• 1 year later...
On 10/25/2018 at 3:42 PM, JustinVH said:

@Ian M.I am not sure why those remaining files are not visible in the Resource Manager.  Have you tried closing and reopening Vectorworks to see if it resolves the issue?  Perhaps @JimW can provide more information.  I have attached two files with pianos for your use, you should be able to just open them and import the piano(s) you desire into your drawing.

Musical Instruments.vwx

Orchestra Layout 3D.vwx

These files / links are no longer valid. How do I find these symbols? Why are they not part of spotlight to begin with?

• 2 years later...
On 10/25/2018 at 1:11 PM, Ian M. said:

I confess that I am new to the Resource Manager, having only just upgraded from 2013, but I have watched the video tutorial, have turned on every resource option in the Resource Manager, and I get a variety of Forbo linoleum samples, and a Johanson bar stool - no piano. Can you tell me exactly which resource folder it is in? 

no piano.png

I am looking for the upright piano and all I get is this same screen.  Can anyone help me out?

On 9/9/2022 at 3:42 PM, jmhanby said:

I am looking for the upright piano and all I get is this same screen.  Can anyone help me out?

Be sure your libraries are up to date.

Right click on the Premium Libraries and "Refresh"

Do the same for the Vectorworks Libraries

1675761050_ScreenShot2022-09-12at6_14_10PM.png.c0cd8defd014b460fd1b220c5b76d729.png

Make sure that your search is for everything, everywhere.

1347356702_ScreenShot2022-09-12at6_10_18PM.png.419bb0649fdee59a07047d44e117c94e.png

I'm seeing several results for "piano"

1876851418_ScreenShot2022-09-12at6_09_43PM.thumb.png.5b7a4a374d74050481e0ae38bc19aeac.png

Note the little cloud and arrow in the bottom left corner of each symbol.

This means that it's currently in the cloud and will need to download to use.

HTH