Stories and split levels

The design series manual says:

"The layer plane on one story cannot overlap with the layer on another story; therefore, the highest layer in a story cannot overlap with the lowest layer in the story above, and the lowest layer in a story must be higher than the highest story in the story below."

So, how does one do a split level model with a two story high area, a second story with a top layer (ceiling) at the same layer as the first, and a floor level between the first and second story with a top layer higher than both?

Thanks,

Donald

"The layer plane on one story cannot overlap with the layer on another story; therefore, the highest layer in a story cannot overlap with the lowest layer in the story above, and the lowest layer in a story must be higher than the highest story in the story below."

Though this is true the fact remains that walls and other objects can be at any height you want on any Layer you want, the downside being that in some cases auto-bounding doesn't work. The biggest problem I believe is actually windows and doors and their representations in regard to plan vs elevations (I have often solved this by introducing window/door objects and placing them in a special 3D class allowing them to be shown/hidden in SLVPs according to what needs to be represented.

The design series manual says:

So, how does one do a split level model with a two story high area, a second story with a top layer (ceiling) at the same layer as the first, and a floor level between the first and second story with a top layer higher than both?

Thanks,

Donald

Split levels are possible, also the one you describe. I always recommend drawing out a section by hand real quick, and then determine the real stories you need. For these three real-life stories, you will use one in VW because of the overlap restriction. All the rest will be handle by level types, which is very easy to do. You will have more option bounding your objects to those level types. If you need any more help, just ask.

For what it's worth, we haven't even messed with using "stories", and simply set our design layers at the respective "z". (Some of our designers are still using v2011, which doesn't even have "stories" anyway.) For split story houses, you can easily set design layers to overlap. If we were to do ten story buildings, then I could see some value in utilizing stories. But at the scale of a simple house, I'm not so sure it would ever prove to save any time, especially on a house with many levels occupying the same "z" but different "x" and "y" space.

I have to agree with Matt. Instead of going all MC Escher with trying to imagine how to construct your project using Stories, just build it from scratch and skip worrying about having the model adjust automatically to any change elsewhere. It won't take that much time move your elements manually unless, at Matt says, you are working on a much more complex commercial-type project.

The tool can't be more complicated than the task.

Tom

I have to agree with Matt. Instead of going all MC Escher with trying to imagine how to construct your project using Stories, just build it from scratch and skip worrying about having the model adjust automatically to any change elsewhere. It won't take that much time move your elements manually unless, at Matt says, you are working on a much more complex commercial-type project.

The tool can't be more complicated than the task.

Tom

I can tell from experience that even for a small house, it's much easier to work with stories, because you don't have to remember all the heights and can just bound to your levels, which are named. This makes it much easier to design everything. You have less calculating to do.

Edit: It are the level types that are important, stories are just a container for these.

Edited by DWorks
  • 1 month later...