Mode bar as heads-up

VincentCuclair

Question

22 answers to this question

Well for me ideally it appears automatically when a mode bar choice needs to be made (ie as soon as a tool is selected it appears next to the cursor) after the command is executed it would reappear for the next choice. Obviously extra options to customize are important ie hotkey to show and hide, transparency for the dialog, size, placement in relation to the cursor, integration with the data bar heads up etc.....

Edited by Vincent C
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

So you wouldnt want to click on it, it would just be a visual indicator and the regular hotkeys for changing modes would be what you used to interact with it?

It would serve to reduce hunting down where the mode bar was across the screen for visual feedback of what mode was currently active?

Basically i want it to appear near the cursor, i then want to choose the mode with the cursor and then continue with the action, so for me no hot keys. Check out how it is done in ArchiCAD that is how i would like it........

( i don't really understand the use of the heads up and a hot key in this context, hot keys already exist for each mode bar position? I practically know the modes by heart for each tool so why have a floating mode bar? Btw i'm just curious, it still includes the same amount of keyboard depressions and glancing away from the screen as we have it now?)

Edited by Vincent C

I like Vincent's approach better than what I suggested (it doesn't mean it could be augmented with a key to cycle through the options). In my ideal world the interface is as mouse based as possible with less keyboard interaction. I try and keep my keyboard interaction one handed where possible (left in my case since the right is on the mouse). I believe the intention of this wish is to keep focus on what the user is doing in the drawing area and I entirely support that.

Kevin

The HUD in C4D is a hot key. It will bring up a series of customizable menus around your cursor, which keeps your eyes on the task at hand.

I hate the mode bar in VW because it's different for every tool, too much to memorize.

In an ideal VW world:

Any tool you are working with can have the mode bar brought up via a hotkey, the mode bar is just above your cursor.

Pressing a hotkey to invoke the HUD would bring up a user customized menu/toolbar just above your cursor.

I'm going to throw in the ability to toggle X-ray view and Zoom view on or off, since right now they are great but one must hold them down constantly.

It's like surgery. I want to get to the general location, cut the patient open (zoom/Xray) and then have a little tray of tools with all of the options (HUD), perform my miracles, and then move on!

Edited by grant_PD

i'm really not keen on Vincent's 100% Mouse orientated ideal, but unless the HUD is fixed when it appears, chasing it with the cursor would be more akin to gaming than CAD so i'm really fond of "The More Keyboard Orientated the Better"(as long as they are easy to find/access), but we all have to be content with VW so, the Mouse can survive for a few more releases.

But it must be easy and practical and Above All, Intuitive without all the required options being hidden or locked or just forgotten about until someone complains about them being missing.

Grant's Hot Key suggestion sounds best, IMHO.

Great Wish. I think we'd all be astonished at the amount of time spent finding/picking functions to do our work. Especially in a multi-screen (monitor) environment. The HUD idea I think would help alleviate the searching for functions and keep you focused on the work at hand.

+1