Exporting 3D from VW to Sketchup Pro

Neil Barman

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello all,

A potentially simple question here... What is the best way (file format & settings) to export 3D data from VW Arch (2013) to Sketchup Pro? Ideally I need the objects that arrive in Sketchup to be editable/workable/modifiable.

I have a tried a few exports from VW (DXF, 3DS) but I could spend all day doing this with or without success. I'm hoping that someone here might be able to share a Best Practice solution for this.

Thanks!

-Neil

Bingo!

Thank you so much Dave! I had not tried that format, and I likely wouldn't have for a while so you just saved me some valuable time. COLLADA (.dae) files do seem arrive in Sketchup Pro the way I need them to. VW Groups & Symbols are ignored when importing into SU, but I can certainly work with this for my purposes.

-Neil

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been exporting dwg files from VW... And it works, but the process is never quick or easy, I think by design on the part of Nemetschek.

To get things out successfully I have to export incrementally, and sometimes re-export the same elements a few different ways so that they appear correctly in Sketchup. Sometimes materials and colors export; other times they don't. I haven't figured out a rhyme or reason to why things export well or not.

Windows in walls seem to present issues when exporting, as do complex blocks like furniture pieces, and of course hybrid objects.

It would be helpful if the VW's software developers stopped thinking of Vectorworks as competitor to Sketchup (even as they try to poach its useful features). Instead they should encourage interoperability between the two programs realizing they have vastly different functions.

Sketchup is a great communication and design tool. Clients absolutely love SKP's simplicity and it's ability to visualize quickly and make changes 'on the fly'. Vectorworks is far better at technical documentation/quantification/coordination, but it takes a special set of skills to design with it. Visualization is a *huge* weakness of the program. VW's perspective function is a true cludge. (Why, for example do you need a special 'window' to view something in perspective?)

The flyover 'space ball' tool needs a complete overhaul. Even with rotate around object selected, the model is always hard to navigate. And things just look ugly, not as the eye sees them or how you experience them.

Oh well. I stop my rant. Thanks for your help on this!!!

Cheers!

Were these problems submitted as bugs or wishlist items? If not, I can comb the posts here and do so now.

Specifically about the windowing for perspectives, that isn't mandatory, you can disable that in View > Perspective, unchecking "Cropped" and you will get a fullscreen perspective visualization. (I am not sure when that change was added, but I think either on or near 2012.)

• 1 year later...