VW 2014 for Mac Anti-Aliasing in OpenGL Still doesn't work

bhorv67

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello bhorv67:

AFAIK Anti-aliasing in 2014 does indeed work, although it is pretty subtle. As before OpenGL anti-aliasing only smoothes the edges of geometry, not textures and not smoothing the Draw Edges option. You will have to look closely to see that the edges of shaded geometry are smoothed.

The previous problems with anti-aliasing shouldn't exist in 2014 because we do the anti-aliasing in Vectorworks and don't rely on driver support for it.

The Draw Edges OpenGL option also had problems in the past, on certain cards due to lack of driver support for required routines. Those problems are also fixed in 2014 due to the new implementation which does not rely on the driver for Draw Edges.

See attached image comparing 2014 OpenGL draw edges and shadows with the previous version (2014 is the better one).

The thickness of the OpenGL Draw Edges is relative to your current zoom level.

If you want more control over the lines, you'd need to create a viewport with OpenGL as the background and Hidden Line as the foreground.

Also the anti-aliasing does work, but as Dave said it is very very mild. If you want a exceedingly smooth edge, you should work with one of the Renderworks modes instead of OpenGL

I see what you mean. I often find Draw Edges to be really useful in some modeling situations where I need my eye to follow certain edges or check intersections, when zooming in or out it can be disorienting to have the edges thickness change.

The X-ray Select mode helps to an extent, but a control/slider for the Draw Edges thickness would be useful indeed.

jim, i understand what you are saying about overlapping viewports for presentation.

but, as christiaan says, working on a project is a different situation. the edges add a lot of clarity to a "quick" visualization, along with a better reading of perspective (yes do prefer perspective) and depth. and i do think that they are a lot better in 2014. i just wish they were thinner.

ray