2014 Open GL rendered viewports

Patrick Fritsch

Anyone else run into this problem.

I converted a file that already had sheet layers w/ viewports setup. I made new viewports in OPEN GL because they had some persistent old geometry showing (I'm thinking it was cached in memory) but that did not work either, I tried to make it got away by switching render modes and then back again but that did no work either.

Jim, viewports are rendering but there are duplicates of my extrudes in random positions. These duplicates are only visible in the viewports when rendered in Open GL. My file consists of a DTM site and basic extrudes to show the building volume. If I open the file back in 2013 the Open GL viewports are not showing this extra dublicates?

Edited by Fritsch

Jim, have you been specifically tasked with submitting bugs brought to attention on the forum or is that just something you're doing ad hoc off your own back as part of your forum activity.

It's very useful. Often, because I'm short on time, I post here to try and find a solution but don't always get around to submitting a bug.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I'm not under any specific direction to do so really, but it seems like its extremely important that I do so. A lot of the time its easy to identify an issue and devise a workaround for it, then get focused on that and forget to submit the issue that was occurring in the first place.

Hopefully getting these issues submitted and logged more thoroughly will get us away from the historical "Vectorworkaround" mentality, which -while very useful in the short term for getting projects finished quickly- isn't good for long-term development.

Anyone else run into this problem.

I converted a file that already had sheet layers w/ viewports setup. I made new viewports in OPEN GL because they had some persistent old geometry showing (I'm thinking it was cached in memory) but that did not work either, I tried to make it got away by switching render modes and then back again but that did no work either.

It looks like this is something that is being addressed in a service pack, most likely the first SP for Vectorworks 2014.

However in the meantime, it has been suggested by engineering that you try setting your OpenGL detail on the design layer, changed under View > Rendering > OpenGL Options, to match the OpenGL detail set in your Viewport's OpenGL preferences. For instance, set them both to Medium or High, not different values.

(I was not able to replicate the issue on my machines here so I cannot reproduce the workaround to confirm, I am passing on the suggestion directly from engineering. Please let me know if it changes what you are seeing.)

Ok Jim, matching the Open GL quality worked as a workaround, Thank you so very much.

Now there is still the issue problem with the "section viewports" in Open GL when the "show planer objects" radio button is checked in the OIP there is a layer that is drawn flat on the XY plane that gets projected vertically (Z axis) in the background. For now I just un-check it as a workaround but it's odd behavior.

Give this man a raise.

I concur! And a medal! Your presence and input on this forum the last couple of weeks have erased at least 50% of frustrations with the program and NV i have gathered for the last couple of years..... good on you Jim (make sure to pass it on to everyone behind the scenes helping you out, if there are any :grin:)

Edited by Vincent C

Hopefully getting these issues submitted and logged more thoroughly will get us away from the historical "Vectorworkaround" mentality, which -while very useful in the short term for getting projects finished quickly- isn't good for long-term development.

I fell off my chair when I read this.

If this is NVW's new approach as of 2014 I just may give VW2014 a shot.

I'll continue to monitor for another two weeks or so to see what happens

Holy helpfulness Batman!!

Loving that reply Jim W.

I feel with your presence, Nemetschek VW is taking users issues far more seriously than in the past.

Glad you're here.

>Originally Posted By: JimW

>Hopefully getting these issues submitted and logged more thoroughly will get us

>away from the historical "Vectorworkaround" mentality, which -while very useful in

>the short term for getting projects finished quickly- isn't good for long-term

>development.

• 11 months later...
I don't suppose a solution has been found for this issue? I'm experiencing the same problem. In open GL, the item renders in a different location. Seems to be at the origin.

Does this happen consistently for you in all files in openGL? Or is there a particular file it is occurring in? Does the issue stop temporarily after restarting Vectorworks or the machine entirely?