Vectorworks 2014 release- bi-fold doors missing?

I've just opened an email from CU, the VW 2014 brochure isn't easy to view but at first view I'm dismayed to see that still after two or three releases of asking we still don't have a custom bi-fold doors tool. As an architectural designer this is one of the most obviously missing functions. Also we need the same tools as Windoor within Vectorworks, I don't see why we should have to pay for an add on programme, it should be an integral function of VW Architect.

Also is the stair tool any easier to use does anyone know yet??

No major improvements for stairs. Just 3 stringers. The stair they showed in the promo video seems almost impossible to create with the stair tool. Would love to inspect the a sample file.

Stair tool needs a complete rebuild. It is one of my least favorite things about VW.

Windoor is no longer selling new licences. I could not get it if I wanted.

Edited by Tom Klaber
  • 3 weeks later...

yes Christian is quite right. It's really disappointing if the VW people haven't improved the door tool after all this time. 3D improvements are fine but if we are being asked to pay out hundreds of ?s for annual updates then we need the basic architectural tools to be right up there now and not drip fed.

I'm still unclear about what positive benefits VW2014 would offer someone like me.

No major improvements for stairs. Just 3 stringers. The stair they showed in the promo video seems almost impossible to create with the stair tool. Would love to inspect the a sample file.

Stair tool needs a complete rebuild. It is one of my least favorite things about VW.

Windoor is no longer selling new licences. I could not get it if I wanted.

Does anyone at VW have any experience building/constructing stairs?

Try and get building inspector to pass a set of residential stairs wider than 36" with 3 stringers.

What is with the limit n stringers anyway??

Amen,

While somewhat improved (I say this about every iteration) the stair tool is a joke.

Here's an idea:

- Hire some smarty pants kids - just graduated from computer schools in North America, Europe, Asia, & OZ/NZ

- Send them to work on construction projects, some in building departments, some in Design Offices, some on construction sites

- Start a crowd source for wish list items, choose the top five to ten items

- Use the $ to bring your new propeller heads back to a nearby office to fix / work on these items. Don't go near them, don't corrupt them, the only adult supervision should be a monthly update show & tell.

Incorporate their improvements into service updates rather than the next iteration. (It would be funded by users remember?)

Rinse and repete

Which of the videos did you see the stair in? Ill see if I can get the .VWX file for you.

Sorry I missed this when you originally posted.

The stairs are in the "New in VW Architect" Video - the first one on:

http://www.vectorworks.net/2014/

The stair at 4:10, and then the one at 4:15 seem more complicated than what is possible with the stair tool. I would love to see the source files for those.

Thanks!

(I am loving the new attention given to the forum!)

Edited by Tom Klaber
  • 2 weeks later...

Any news on the bi-fold doors Jim?

Before I consider spending out a lot of money on 2014 or 2015 I would want this function as my projects are 90% domestic extensions and bi-fold doors are just about the most 'wanted' feature. I just don't understand why an architectural programme doesn't have them unless perhaps you don't have them in the US? If this is the case then NV is short sighted as it a global market now and the European one is large indeed.

It's disappointing indeed to hear that you haven't made the stair tool more usable because most buildings whether domestic or commercial have more than one floor!