Tapered & irregular shaped NURBS road

Patrick Fritsch

Question

I find myself often designing driveways on hillsides that cannot be square 90 deg at the top or bottom were they meet other planes and they must taper at the junction to the street.

I would like a road tool that I can create an irregular shaped polygon in plan view, run the "create objects from shapes" to created an road that would have the same options "align & distribute stations" as the current NURBS Road tool. But due to it's irregular shape I would have additional options to set the; top edge, bottom edge and road center line.

Currently I'm using the PAD type site modifier with a slope, but it's a pain to get edges to line up and the slope arrow always looks funny as it has to point from corner to corner.

Edited by Fritsch

4 answers to this question

I find the Roadway Tools in Site Planning very limited. I do a lot of residential site planning with driveways and adjacent areas that may have an array of functions. I am always forced to come up with some work around solution as a result. I find it difficult when working with the roadway tools due to the restrictive nature. It would be very useful to have some flexibility with varied widths, configuration and shapes. I do not use this tool as often as I would like because of the limitations. This tool could be very powerful and more useful if the designer had a greater ability to change parameters reflecting today's reality.

Thanks,

lm

I agree 100%. What would be really useful for me would be an improved Nurbs Road tool which was able to contain loops, offshoots (driveways and other connected roads) and have variable width (set on a per station basis). The tool as it is now, and has always been, is really close to being really good. Just not quite good enough.