3D view

Extremely pedestrian question I'm afraid. Just getting back into VW. When drawing 3d objects on a 2d plan and then going to an isometric view the 3d component jumps to some other location. I was told that this had changed in 2013 when I bought it, to be more like ACAD etc where when you extrude a rectangle for instance, on a 2d site plan you can see the 3d extrusion sitting in the 2d plan.

Am I missing something or do you have to change all the 2d linework into some kind of polyline to see it in 3d. It seems ludicrous to me, a real basic flaw but I hope I'm wrong. Any help much appreciated.

Clive

Make sure you have 'unified view' activated, this ensures that you see all layers from the same angle and at the correct heights in relation to one another. (All 2D objects drawn in screen plane mode will always remain 'flat' on the screen that's the whole point with the screen plane function and also confusing for other cad users because VWs is the only one that has this......)

Edited by Vincent C
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you don't think you have a use for it, most likely you won't need to touch it at all, it isnt for every workflow.

The Plane system was mostly introduced to accommodate the varying types of users we have.

There are a large number of users who are in 3D all the time, no matter what, to them Screen Plane is worthless. In the middle, and the more common type of workflow, is a combination of 2D and 3D, which the system works well with as long as the user understands the Plane system as well as Unified View.

(While i'm thinking about it, take a look here for info on Unified View: http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/733/Unified+View )

The final type of user, mostly users that have been using Vectorworks since the days when it was known as MiniCAD, only drafts in 2D, to the extent that they will draw elevations and sections manually rather than using the hybrid wall/door/window tools and create section viewports and elevations from them.

In the future 3D will be the primary focus most likely as it is becoming more and more common, but for now the Plane system is trying to address 3 completely different ways of thinking all in one interface, to varying degrees of success depending upon the situation.

Edited by JimW

Jim:

I design entirely in 3D but find Screen View very important for this reason: Not all linework that defines a drawing must be in 3D. Great numbers of 2D lines are put down onto Design Layers. These are used to add detail to floor plans, framing plans and others and are better* done on a Design Layer than in annotations. These lines, often defining cabinetry, columns (simplified outlines), rafters and other elements work best in 2D and having them begin life in 3D--all at zero hight--needlessly confuses the drawing.

Also, as a minor point, lines drawn in 3D default to zero elevation always, as I said above, and so even when you employ them on a site plan or plot plan to show detail around a 3D model, they often convey false information since they do not conform the the topography of the lot without taking other, advanced steps.

If your lot is dead-flat, then it works OK.

2D Linework set to Layer Plane is a fine and necessary beginning to the process of extruding shapes but that is about it in my view.

In closing, I'd say I always prefer my lines to begin in Screen Plane. I can change them to Layer Plane later if I want.

Tom

*I use 2D line-work frequently when defining structural elements between stories and layers. I send loci and other lines to other layers to mark important locations and conditions. This is not possible in Annotation mode.

PS. JimW: your input is highly valued. Thanks again.

Edited by Tom G.

I would add that I also work/design almost exclusively in 3d, and have been for about 20 years - long, long before most others in the architecture/landscape architecture field did, and I too prefer to use screen plane for most of my initial linework. One of the things that made MiniCAD/VW stand out above AutoCAD for me was the fact 2D stuff was in Screen Plane. Much more useful and efficient way to quickly separate out 2D elements from 3D - just switch to a 3D view by tapping "3" on the keypad. I use it constantly and would hate to see it disappear. It is a hundred times more efficient then the way AutoCAD does it with everything always drawn in "Layer Plane". Although I also use Layer Plane for those times when things don't need to be modeled but still need to display in 3d. Basically what I used to have to convert to 3D polylines/polygons I now just use as 2D polylines/polygons in Layer Plane. 2D lines occasionally too. So please keep both.

I was told that this had changed in 2013 when I bought it, to be more like ACAD ...

And please, please, please, don't try to be like AutoCAD. The reason I switched to MiniCAD twenty years ago was because it WASN'T like AutoCAD. AutoCAD stinks.

Edited by Monadnoc