Seating Booths

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I stuck it into "General". If it would be better elsewhere, then the mods should feel free to move it.

I was wondering how I would go about creating booth seating as represented in the attached images. Specifically, in regard to rendering. How difficult is it to create the tucked and pleated fabric backs? Making the wood parts and such is a snap. Getting a realistic representation to show potential clients the designers "vision" is what I'm after.

Of course, once that's done, I'd like to be able to get a materials takeoff for the shop as well. Fabric needed (Sq. yards), foam cushions needed, Veneered plywoods, etc. That should be doable in a BIM enviroment, right?

Sorry if this is basic stuff. It is anything but basic to me!

Thanks!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Tucked/pleated fabric is one of the hardest things to model in 3D in Vectorworks. You may be better off trying to find something similar on a website and then importing the files into Vectorworks.

Such as taking

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=cab61e4cbd901837abdd4c2fb50e9903&prevstart=0

and combining it with:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=2113624294e07d1b806fa01b99bcd24&prevstart=36

Then going from there.

As for the material takeoffs, nothing simple exists yet but they're still adding functions similar to that as time passes. Currently the focus is on the main architectural objects such as doors/windows/walls but eventually it may move to more of the interior detailing.