File Cleaner

RickR

Question

We need a procedure for cleaning up a corrupted file!

Many times in the past few years I have had issues where some elements have been corrupted. They show and function in bizarre and unpredictable ways. Usually the answer is copying elements into a new file. This is very incomplete as so much of the file structure can't be copied and pasted. (viewports and their annotations, references...) Naturally the more complex the file the more likely to corrupt and the longer it takes to fix, just as the deadline arrives!

An other CAD program I'm familiar with uses their backup files. Restoring from a backup runs a checker on the data and supply defaults for missing data. Something might change but you know you have a good base for cleaning it up.

Perhaps a combination of the two: An external program that copied all the elements from one file to new one. It would have to start with preferences then move on to layers, classes, resources, references and objects. Then it would have all that's needed to do the viewports.

7 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Unfortunately there is no built in way of doing this (other than the automatic one that does run in the background when you open a problematic file, but you wont see that happen) however this procedure will normally recover all but the most corrupt of objects:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/790/Layer+Import

It wasn't intended for this purpose, but it works a large majority of the time in practice here.

Unfortunately there is no built in way of doing this (other than the automatic one that does run in the background when you open a problematic file, but you wont see that happen) however this procedure will normally recover all but the most corrupt of objects:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/790/Layer+Import

It wasn't intended for this purpose, but it works a large majority of the time in practice here.

Well if this new voice from Nemetschek on the Forum is part of the New Release Game Plan I am whole heartedly for it. JImW, it is nice to see a rep from VW actively participating and answering questions on this forum. It was very much needed and long overdue. Since Katy left there has been a conspicuous lack of input. Thank you. I hope you continue to be an active contributor.

Jim,

I have tried the "fix" for some problem files I have, and it didn't help on them. I sent a sample problem file to tech support, and never heard back. The files crash when I click the layers button in the data bar. They are old files that have been converted many times as new versions of Vectorworks were released. I need the files for my work. Do you have any other suggestions that I might try to fix them?

It was a long time ago that I sent the file, and my memory now says they did respond telling me that they could reproduce the problem and they would send it to the engineers to be fixed in an update. I had hoped it would be fixed in the 2014 update, but it is not. Is there some way to have someone there try to fix my files? I have three with the same problem.