ifcMe

i was asked to start to up load what i have modeled in vectorworks to a shared folder on dropbox. i have "sold" the idea that IFC is the way to go. i will try to relate my experiences as i have time. no doubt there will be some user error in this endeavor and also software failures including the IFC system itself. the purpose of the videos is that if i am going to take a beating why not recored it so we can learn something & improvements can be made.

ifcMe - glitch 1.0 - ifcFoundation none

• 2 weeks later...

ifcMe - 3.1 - create ifc entity - when to

a reason to make ifc entity. otherwise do not "check" the check the box!

so is this it? or is their more to it?

so create ifc entity is really a grouping system and only that do not use it otherwise. not that anything bad will happen but what is the use.

please feel free to correct me on this. trying to learn.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

MW (Please put your real name in your profile):

As you have seen, IFC's naming conventions are not exactly intuitive. Vectorworks is certified for export on IFC 2x3, so you should go to this online reference:

http://www.buildingsmart-tech.org/ifc/IFC2x3/TC1/html/index.htm

On this page, click "hierarchy listing" in the upper left pane. Then a browsing-tree will appear in the lower-left pane. Scroll down to IfcRoot. Then browse to:

IfcRoot

IfcObjectDefinition

IfcObject

IfcProduct

IfcElement

IfcBuildingElement

..to see a listing of common IFC elements. There are others, for example for mechanical and electrical elements, so you can browse around a bit.

ifcMe - 5.0 - streamline ifc data workflow

need to not lose data when modifying.

i'm getting lost here.

apparently i can't get my ifc-material tab populated with data (i suppose it doesn't matter if it's vw 2012 or 2014). an independent estimation company working with a self-made application can't see any material for takeoffs when importing my ifc model. i've checked the ifc entities at random: no material data.

i must have missed something very obvious... :(

thanks for any hint.

rob

i have an ifc test model here.

although the solibri model viewer displays are different: one wall displays ok, the other one is spoiled (divided into 2 components with zero thickness), there's still no data in the ifc entities (see above).

the division may have something in common with the various wall heights: the spoiled one has been cut with the construction ribbon at the edge of the upper slab.

i'm not sure, this may have been fixed in the next vw versions, i post it for a vw 2012 status quo inventory.

rob

i looked at your images and have no idea what could be the problem. all the ifc i am doing right now is on extrusions. the big brick building that i am doing has no wall tool, slab tool etc used. all custom modeled. i assume the problem you are having is do to some automated feature getting fouled up

can you send the file to tech support?