shp file with 3d record

ray isaacs

• 3 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I have not yet come across a way to do this, however I have been asked a number of times for a way to accomplish it.

The closest I have seen is with Survey Input, but that pulls directly from a delimited text file to create contours at various elevations, not record data attached to the contours/polys themselves.

If anyone comes across a method or script that does this, please let me know and I will add it to the kbase immediately. (Until then, i'll check with a few of the veterans here and see if they have come across something similar.)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Ray, would you be so kind as to send tech@vectorworks.net that .SHP file? ("ATTN: Jim" is fine for the subject)

I am speaking with some others here to see if we can get something a little more automated worked out. The "Modify by Record Value" feature that was introduced a few versions back may hold the answer.

Edited by JimW

I have used and worked with .shp files a lot in the last year.

If you receive a .shp file with 2d polys it is difficult to create a terrain model in 2013 and before.

The modify by record will allow you to basically extrude that poly to the height in the attached record. This is no good for a terrain model.

I recently received a shp file with 2d polys and went back to the council who provided it. They confirmed that their data was held in both 2d and 3d polys and were happy to send me the correct files which worked in 2013.

The situation is easier in 2014. I have run the new command in 2014 on the same 2d poly file (convert to 3d polys) and it worked perfectly. The attached image shows.

• 2 weeks later...

that's good. seems like some progress is being made in terms of gis integration.

in our practice that is really important. we hope vw will continue to improve the interactivity with gis, especially as this becomes more common and expected at administrative levels.

one thing that we would like to see is a less complicated way of staying geo-referenced. yes it can be done. but, we find it a bit confounding to keep track of original coordinates, files that are geo-referenced, files--such as dwgs--that get imported with different coordinates, and then the whole problem of modeling away from the origin.

in fact, i will add this to the wish list right now.

thanks, jim, for your assistance.

ray

• 1 month later...

I was confused by the above posts, so to clarify for others.

I am trying out 2014. There is a new command in Modify by Record to "Elevate 2D Polys" that does exactly what Ray requested at the top of this thread... If you have a 2D poly from a shp file with 2D polys that have elevation data, you can automatically turn them into 3D polys with the right elevations. That in turn can be transformed into a SiteModel (DTM).

As with all shp file stuff in VW, there is some fiddling to get all the units correct. In the file I tried out, I had to change the document units to meters. Then in the command I applied a multiplier of 1000 to the meter elevations to get the right result. I've noticed before (with both shp files and 3DS files) that VW seems to insist that imported files are in millimeters.

Dillon

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
On 11/8/2013 at 4:51 PM, Dillon said:

I was confused by the above posts, so to clarify for others.

I am trying out 2014. There is a new command in Modify by Record to "Elevate 2D Polys" that does exactly what Ray requested at the top of this thread... If you have a 2D poly from a shp file with 2D polys that have elevation data, you can automatically turn them into 3D polys with the right elevations. That in turn can be transformed into a SiteModel (DTM).

As with all shp file stuff in VW, there is some fiddling to get all the units correct. In the file I tried out, I had to change the document units to meters. Then in the command I applied a multiplier of 1000 to the meter elevations to get the right result. I've noticed before (with both shp files and 3DS files) that VW seems to insist that imported files are in millimeters.

Dillon

What progress has there been in the years since this thread was last updated? I'm having a similar issue in VW 2019 with a shapefile with Z-values in feet. VW is translating those as decimal inches. I'm sure theres an issue of scale, I'm still a new user, just seeing if theres a quicker fix than me spending an afternoon chasing it down.