extract a single sheet layer with contents

A have a large file with multiple sheet layers. I'd like to extract just one of the sheet layers plus the viewports and associated contents from this file. Is there a straight forward way to do this?

I figured I could go one of three ways but none seem to work too well:

1. Create a new file and then import the sheet layer from the larger file. This doesn't work because you can't import the viewport design layer contents along with the sheet layer.

2. Save a copy of the larger file and then purge - none of the purge options or combinations of options really do the trick without manually going in and erasing unwanted content.

3. Manually delete all of the unneeded sheet layers, and any design layers and classes that aren't turned on in the various viewports. This process takes too long and usually leads to deleting items unintentionally.

Does anyone have experience with this or know any tricks that could help?

Thanks,

J

I think this will work. Or at least get you close....

Open a blank document.

Create a new layer. In the New Design Layer dialog box click the "Import Design Layers" and "Import Layer Objects" buttons.

Click on "Choose..." Navigate to the File, choose the design layers you need for your viewports. - Those design layers, their contents, and all the classes of every object on those design layers will be imported.

Create a new blank sheet layer.

In the source file go to the sheet layer you want to copy. Select all the sheet layer viewports. Group them. Copy them.

In the target document, paste and ungroup. I've found that sometimes you have to fix the layer visibility of the SLVPs. I haven't done it enough to predict when the outcome will be perfect. But it does give you all the annotations for the viewports and a file with only the layers and classes you need.

hth

mk

• 1 year later...