Changing Image Brightness

Gregmuzza

Hello all,

Perhaps you can help...

I've created a texture for a floor tile. I've used an image to create a this texture.

However, this image (as many it seams) appear too dark.

I can make the texture darker using a 'filter colour' in 'edit image colour'. I cannot however find a way of making the image lighter.

Does anybody ever come up against this problem?

Thanks in advance

Greg

Or add a "cheat" area light close to the floor, but pulled back enough from the walls to not splash them with light.

This used to work better when area lights had direction - before the switch to the new render engine. But sometimes you can still get away with it.

hth

mk

Edited by michaelk

The problem with using Glow is the object no longer displays shadows. So if you have a scene where there might be a shadow thrown across the floor, it will disappear. You might be better off using "Backlit" as the Reflectivity choice. That accepts/displays shadows. You can adjust the Brightness as needed.

Although the better solution might be to bring the original texture image into Photoshop and lighten it there, then re-import it. Don't even mess with Reflectivity as a lightening agent.

Hello all,

Thanks for all your responses so far.

The problem with exporting the image to photoshop to alter its colour is that I am working with interiors where a texture's colour and how it fits with the colours around it is absolutely crucial. If I have to export it to change it's colour, it's a big guess. I could spend all day trying to get it right.

I am amazed Vectorworks is missing such a simple aspect of texture control, given the huge scope we have with reflectivity, bump and so on.

I will, however, try using 'Backlit' as Monadoc has suggested. I will let you know how I get on.

Ta

Greg

• 1 month later...

Monadnoc

I do NOT have a handle on the Backlit and / or Glow shaders.

The Glow Shader appears to work, but is NOT very adjustable. Down, not up.

(ie: change the setting radically and the final rendering looks the same)

Neon tubes look good with the Glow Shader and the Object Color (Attribute). (Dark background and adjacent reflective surfaces.)

Add the Backlit Shader to a Textures with an Image Shader and the Backlit Shader, more than likely washes out the Image.

To "Test" these Shaders, I set up a grid of cubes and apply various Textures to them. Changing the Shader Settings for each Texture. 0, 25, 100, 250 ... Rendered with Final Setting in RW, this gives a comparison of the Glow and Backlit Shaders

So far, it appears easiest to go to Photoshop and Lighten the Image.

Also helps to turn off "Receive Shadows" to add to the illusion.

Is there a Guide any one has seen other than the Two Pages in the VW Help that references these two Shaders?

Peter

• 3 weeks later...