Why???????

Why are stairs measured to the face of the riser, instead of to the tread nosing?

Why is the depth of exterior window sills set from the inside face of walls?

Why is the 3D ID tag buried in the middle of the window so that it's covered by the check rail in a hidden line drawing?

The "size reference" for my window is "sash opening." The "elevation in wall" is "head of window." I've included a 3/4" jamb so that there's something there to be rendered in a perspective. But now my window is 3/4" lower in the wall than expected. Why is the head of the window measured a distance above the top of the sash that is equal to the jamb width?!?

Why does the window "jamb" component run along the top of the sill?

Why can't I use the dimension tool to take vertical dimensions in a side view of my model? Mode is set to "Screen Plane," no less!

Why does Vectorworks generate SO many questions that REALLY shouldn't be necessary?!?

Yes, frustrating isn't it! Well the answer is because they don't have architects on the development team and quality control is bad!

Why can't I use the dimension tool to take vertical dimensions in a side view of my model? Mode is set to "Screen Plane," no less!

The answer to this is you need to activate the Plane snap (after the first click but before the last).

You will then ask "Why doesn't the Plan Snap remain active once it is activated?"

The answer is the same as before...... :(

Edited by Vincent C

Hi Vincent,

I don't think this is (primarily) an issue of "Snap to Working Plane," particularly since I'm working in "Screen Plane" mode. http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=188748Post188748

I can't seem to pin it down, as it seems to be a somewhat sporadic behavior. If in a brand new blank file (in Screen Plane mode) I draw a wall and window and go to a front view take some dimensions, it's fine. If I change the design layer's elevation to 100', however, it's okay for the first few measurements, but then starts (sporadically) locking to horizontal dimensions only. Maybe it has something to do with the Design Layer's elevation? Enlisting "Snap to Working Plane" at this point only makes it worse 'cause the dimensions seem to want to snap down to World Z=0. I think. http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=188749#Post188749

Regarding all the other "Why?? 's" - I don't know which should be a less embarrassing explanation to Nemetschek for them: not having architects on the development team, or having architects on the development team!!

I identify with this thread. I'm having my own "why???????" moment with VW right now. I mapped an image texture onto a curved NURBS surface using perimeter mapping. It looked exactly how I wanted it to look, like a curved diorama. Then I rotated the NURBS object in plan to place it in the scene. The mapping moves when I move the object... and will no longer align properly in the objects new position. What's up with that? I finally moved the wall back and moved the camera for the scene. How stupid!

Kevin

The mapping moves when I move the object... and will no longer align properly in the objects new position. What's up with that?

Good question! I was fooling around with an image textured NURBS surface to test this "why" for perimeter mapping and cylinder mapping.

Strangely the first move by drag with a z component often caused the texture to move off the object.

In subsequent drags, the texture sticks to the NURBS. World z or not does not matter.

If object is an extrude, say of a polyline arc, one can drag the object in 3 space with no loss of the texture relative to the object. But OIP change of the bot z causes the texture stay in place (slides off the object).

It's all kind of unpredictable.

???

-B

Well the answer is because they don't have architects on the development team

Not true anymore.

This has long been a frustration for us. There is a difference between an architect (someone with the qualification), and a practicing architect. Since the early days (we go back to MC+4), there has been a demonstrated lack of understanding of what really happens in architectural drawing and drafting. This carries through now to supposedly useful PIOs that are not intuitive, cater to a particular geographic region, and lack a cohesive design specification, or......flat out don't work.

My short term radar has a blip where VW2014 lies. The long term scan is starting to point to alternatives.

I fear if NVW doesn't hit a home run this time, the trail of rats leaving the ship will be significant.

V-G

Holding out hope.

My short term radar has a blip where VW2014 lies. The long term scan is starting to point to alternatives.

I fear if NVW doesn't hit a home run this time, the trail of rats leaving the ship will be significant.

Ditto.

Too bad, because VW could be so great.

Too bad, because it would mean walking away from the extraordinary investment in money, time, energy, effort, learning, and creating libraries that I'm sure so many of us have.