Understanding Stories

I have a few questions regarding stories. I have watched the stories movie in the service select area, but still have a few questions.

1. Why is the floor set to 2 1/2 inches above the slab, why would it not be set to 0

2. When you set up the roof is that part of the story set to the bearing height or something else.

3. Can someone share with me a blank file set up with stories where it has all layers set correctly so I can see how it should look?

4. When setting the layers should I set them to layer elevation or something else and when should I use each?

I want to use stories, but just feel confused about them.

Heres some comments on 2 & 4:

Roof height can be controlled either by:

a) bearing height from a floor layer

b) Zero bearing height on it's own roof layer - height controlled via layer height.

I use A mostly.

Regarding 4:

Layers, if linked to a storey, should have their elevation set to height above the storey, not from the ground floor.

i.e. A ceiling layer could have a height of 2400mm (8ft) above a storey rather than a height above Zero

HTH

ccw there is a need for better documentation on Stories and in particular on the why of its structure and how it should be used. That documentation and a sample file would help users greatly.

My interpretation, and I may be wrong, is that the floor layer is for where there is a separate finish floor on top of the floor structure. For example a grano screed on top of a structural concrete slab. Therefore include it if you need it and exclude it if you don't.

You can also edit the default storey Layers to the types you want, keeping in mind that their main purpose is to automatically control the height of building elements like Walls, Window Walls, Stairs, Columns, Pilasters, etc.

My interpretation, and I may be wrong, is that the floor layer is for where there is a separate finish floor on top of the floor structure. For example a grano screed on top of a structural concrete slab. Therefore include it if you need it and exclude it if you don't.

That's how we always build, so I thought it is logical, but apparently not....

You can also edit the default storey Layers to the types you want, keeping in mind that their main purpose is to automatically control the height of building elements like Walls, Window Walls, Stairs, Columns, Pilasters, etc.

That's the whole point. You can define stories, and in those, you can define all the types you want and want to use, and give them the name you want. These types are just a set of predefined heights, relative to the story elevation, so that objects can bound to them. You just have to remember that objects can only bound to types of the own story and the one below/above. So for split-levels use one story, and don't use to much stories, like for the foundation, just use a type as you automatically get a layer for it.

I define my stories like this:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=9439&filename=Storys.jpg

If you have a split-level, just make the same level types with a suffix/prefix. This works really well! Don't use too many level types, you can always add some when needed.

Edited by DWorks
Guest Wes Gardner

Hey Chris,

Yes, Stories does take a while to get your head around but once understood, the concept offers alot of automation. Attached is a file set up "in Stories" and a worksheet explaining where the heights come from.

This is a part of a course we offer that is architect specific. Yes, it is a simple project but that is where you should start before progressing into some of the fine work produced by those like DWorks who can make this program sing.

Wes

Wes,

What would make the uptake of the stories feature easier (especially for the less experienced user) would be a graphical representation of the stories in the design layer environment i.e. project levels.

The current implementation of the Storey feature is just too abstract. It can be made much easier to grasp than it is presently.

Just look at the way Revit (and probably Archicad) handles levels to see what I mean...

Edited by Kizza

That is why I have resulted in going back to 2 or 3 of layers per storey. All of the layers are fine if you are only one working a project, but a nightmare working in teams.

At the moment my layer setup per story is; Plan-for the enclosure and structure; Interior-for partitions, finishes and furniture; Roof-if the storey has a roof; and RCP-if a different person is working on the reflected ceiling plans. The RCP layer objects can also live on the Interior layer.

I think for us more proficient users, lots of layers are fine, but for the average punter, confusing. I cannot work out why, but I think that people understand classes better than they understand layers/levels. A hangover from AutoCAD training perhaps.

1. Why is the floor set to 2 1/2 inches above the slab, why would it not be set to 0

Another reason for this can be rendering, if you have walls that have the same height as the story their tops will be flush with the floor top and you'll get some strange results when doing renders.

2. When you set up the roof is that part of the story set to the bearing height or something else.

Up to you, you can move the roof up and down as you like in a side view (yes we also find this strange, we have already wished for the roof (object) to have a Z value so we can adjust the height more correctly.)

3. Can someone share with me a blank file set up with stories where it has all layers set correctly so I can see how it should look?

This is also connected to what and how you present your projects e.g.. start off with a basic set up (Story 1: Foundation, Slab, Story, Ceiling. Story 2: Slab, Story, Ceiling etc.) and you will find out in due course what setup fits your way of working. (Finding the right setup basically means finding the right balance between the amount of Layers(Stories) and the amount of classes you want/need.) Your whole project will be 'controlled' through these.

Eg I find having slab objects in the same layer as the Story objects irritating because I usually only want some of the objects to be visible, in this case I can either have a separate Layer for Slabs or simply show and hide the slab objects through classes, (in this case I have a separate Slab layer because I already have 350+ classes and showing and hiding is much faster by simply hiding the layer, again personal taste and methodology is very important

4. When setting the layers should I set them to layer elevation or something else and when should I use each?

Certain objects can be bound (top and bottom) to certain layers OR they can be bound to layer heights, again trial and error will show you which suites your needs or which you find easiest to understand.

I want to use stories, but just feel confused about them.

Just start with a small project and work your way through, it is fairly simple to change things later on i.e. if you find out you are missing a Layer that you need just add the Layer(Story) and move the corresponding Objects to this new Layer.

PS.

Stories define the model elevations. (Design) Layers can be connected to these stories and will change according to the changes you make in the Story settings. OR layers can exist independently of Stories and need to be changed individually however the objects on this layer can still adjust to these changes if they are set to do so.

Classes are a way of controlling objects on several (Design)Layers at once.

The combination of these 2 in addition to overrides in Viewports control how you view and present your model and drafting information.

It's a lot to get your head around at first however it is also a powerful tool when you finally do.....and keep posting questions and queries on this forum it is the best place to get info and there are many that are prepared to help.

Edited by Vincent C
Service Select members do have access to additional training materials. In the Webinars on Demand section there is a quite good Webinar on Stories by Wes Gardiner. It is in the tips-by-guest-presenters-and-vectorworks-power-users section.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=9455&filename=Stories%20Webinar.png

This isn't available for us. I hate that not all material on service select is available for all customers in all countries.... We pay a lot for almost nothing here.....