Hand drawn plant symbols

hbowers

Hello,

Wondering if anyone can tell me how I can take hand-drawn plant symbols (2D plan symbols) and import them to VW, so we can have custom plant symbols. I have scanned the image in, and I have image editing software but not sure how to work the image mask.

Thanks!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Helen

For 2D Plan symbols, you need to have a pure white background on the image. Then, when you import the image into Vectorworks, you need to change the attributes of the plant image to have a Fill Style of None. Then, select the image and choose Landmark > Create New Plant.

Hope that helps

And if I understand this technique (I haven't had time to test it yet), anything that is white on the image will also be transparent, not just the background. So if you had white flowers or something on your image, they would become transparent. For most images this wouldn't be a problem, but on occasion it will definitely be.

Hmmmm, interesting effect, but I'm sure it's not what you want. I would think the pixels have to be exactly white (255,255,255) to work. Maybe antialiasing in Photoshop is creating the halo of off-white pixels? I know I always run into that problem with photoshop softening the edges.

You may have to wait until VW supports png or tif transparency. Hopefully next month.