VW crashing...

Kizza

Yes, but not today, a few weeks ago. I had spent considerable time simplifying it and has been relatively stable till today.

Working on a simple model, no symbols, no rendering, just walls and roofs.

To be honest Vincent, I'm at the end of the road with it. At every turn with this program you have to twist and turn and perform mental gymnastics to get results. Buggy tools, workarounds, crashes etc.

I'm losing serious money with Vectorworks and I'm done.

I've invested a lot of time with Vectorworks, gave it my best shot.

Lot's of help from the board as well. Plus Archoncad training.

I'll finish this project off and I'll go for Revit Lt.

It's a shame because VW has the potential to be a fine program.

3 Golden rules:

1. Never ever start a new project until after SP2

2. Never ever import dwg info directly into a VWs working file (if you really have to import into a clear file, explode, explode explode, save file and copy paste after that).

3. Always have backups set for every 5 mins or every 10 actions and save to a remote place. Preferably using Time Machine and not VWs built in backups.

Appreciate the reminders.

1) Not good enough

2) VW boasts solid dwg support- again not good enough

3) I have backups, no major data loss, just frustrations and slowdowns. Seriously, in our profession it's not good enough.

It's gone on for too long.

ChrisD and Jershuan went to Revit and we don't hear from them because they haven't looked back.

You don't hear anything from Nemetschek on these boards (although Mr Oulette was present a few moments ago) in response to our cries for help.

Appreciate the reminders.

1) Not good enough

2) VW boasts solid dwg support- again not good enough

3) I have backups, no major data loss, just frustrations and slowdowns. Seriously, in our profession it's not good enough.

It's gone on for too long.

I quite agree, 2014 will decide quite a lot for me too I guess, I have actually installed Revit Suite on my Parallels just waiting for the dealer to get the license to work......

I'll finish this project off and I'll go for Revit Lt.

Well, you'll find other frustrations unfortunately, however I believe they will probably be in the design part at the beginning of your projects instead.....and the UI of-course.

Yes I know Revit is not perfect. But VW massing tool is stuffed anyway so no loss there. I like the UI actually.

I will miss 2D in VW, modelling too. But Revit has the architectural side of it nailed - and that's what I need.

It has Design Options, Phases, Project Levels, Schedules that are easy to create, door and window libraries, you can create your own families if you are stuck that are scheduled correctly. Live Sections, Real Time Hidden Line rendering, Building Materials, the program is relatively stable.

These are the things I need.

In our office Revit would end up costing us a pretty penny at the start. But with VW crashing so constantly, it's getting to be that VW starts costing money in lost time!

I can't believe this program is so buggy even at SP4. And, honestly, the minor differences between 2012 and 2013... so tiny... really not worth the upgrade.

So.. stability? It's lacking.

As for the list of things to avoid so that it won't crash? Wrong. It just should NOT crash.

Maybe they need to take some time out and make a version that really works. Take 2 years between upgrades rather than toss out another half-coded version every year. MAKE IT WORK. Or you'll have us leaving for ArchiCAD (Hmmm.. same parent company so they still see a profit?) or Revit (not happy with heading over to the dark side. Not happy at all.).

In our office Revit would end up costing us a pretty penny at the start. But with VW crashing so constantly, it's getting to be that VW starts costing money in lost time!

Looked at Revit Lt? It's missing massing capabilities, worksharing and in place modelling, but depending on what you do, Revit Lt may be enough.

I would prefer that VW be fixed and requested features added rather than switch but I don't think it will happen with 2014.

And what is the bet that if VW did include the many feature requests that users are requesting that the price will not increase considerably anyway?

Too little too late.

Edited by Kizza

Although it doesn't change anything....

It appears my crashing may be caused by a corrupt solid. I recall the first crash when I was zooming out after drawing this solid. Since I recreated the solid (rafter) and reduplicated them the crashing has subsided. (not disappeared, but subsided). I now crash at my usual (normal) rate.

What version of OS X are you running? If you're running 10.7 or 10.8, the Library folder is hidden, so you'll have to unhide it to see the logs.

Don't know whether turning off error reporting will create the logs, but, FWIW, I have error reporting set to "send nothing" (vw2012/OS X 10.6.8), and there are VW crash logs in my CrashReporter and DiagnosticReports folders.

What version of OS X are you running? If you're running 10.7 or 10.8, the Library folder is hidden, so you'll have to unhide it to see the logs.

Don't know whether turning off error reporting will create the logs, ....

That's it, there they all are sitting in the User Account Library folder. Thx for the prodding.

Turning off error reporting still creates the log file but doesn't send to Vectorworks.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a very similar problem with my VW's crashing especially when I was trying to render 15+ viewports of interior elevations. I sent several of the crash logs that were going to apple to the VW's tech support. After about a day, it was determined that VW's is having a problem with releasing the memory it was using to render the viewports. The work around they suggested was turn on save viewport cache. It worked I no longer crashed. I would render several of my viewports and then save and close VW. Then start it back up and render the rest. They (tech support) submitted this problem to the engineers, so hopefully there will be a fix for this soon. Since then I purchased 8 more GB's of RAM for my computer. Now granted VW is a 32 bit program so it can only access 4GB of the memory, but I was told the Rendering portion of the program is 64 bit so it can access all of the RAM I have. So we will see if increasing my RAM has helped with the crashes.

Kizza don't give up on VW yet. It is still a great program and although it has flaws, all software has flaws nothing is perfect. You just have to trucking. Some of the other software's out there have a very high learning curve and I have found VW to be one of the best and most user friendly programs available. It can only get better and believe me they are work on it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Well, what more can I say?

Working in hidden line render mode (especially when working with saved views rendered in hidden line) causes crashes nearly every time.

I've got around this by mainly working in 2D and by developing a basic model for visualisation purposes. However, if I want to create sheets from a model(containing hidden line renders) navigating the file is near impossible without crashes.

Question to Nemetschek:

How am I to be productive and competitive with seriously flawed software like this?

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10969&filename=Screen%20Shot%202014-08-09%20at%2010.49.56%20AM.jpg

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10970&filename=Screen%20Shot%202014-08-09%20at%2010.49.56%20AM.jpg

Edited by Kizza