pdf file size too big

when trying to export a drawing that uses a high res pdf aerial photo, the resultant file size is always too big to email (over 28 Meg). Can anyone tell me how to export a pdf file to a smaller size ? I've tried all the settings in the pdf export dialog box, setting the resolution down to 10 dpi and it does not affect the resultant export file.

Oddly, I tried to change the photo file by opening it in GIMP, then saving it as a jpeg. The jpeg shows up fine in Windows explorer, but when I import it into VW 2013, it imports as a gray box with an 'x' (when using jpeg compression) or a uniformly black box (when using png compression). Any advice ?

I usually export the offending pdf from Preview as a jpeg and then back to a pdf in the same way.

Try a couple of times to find the setting that works best for you, the jpg export quality can be set manually.....

(or if you don't get paid for the above, get a Dropbox account and send a link to the original exported pdf.)

I've tried all the settings in the pdf export dialog box, setting the resolution down to 10 dpi and it does not affect the resultant export file.

No, I think those settings only effect the native objects not imported images

(Haven't tried this but in Sheet Layers you can set dpi for each sheet, this could be a way to export a smaller size pdf.)

Edited by Vincent C

Thanks for the help .... I've tried the sheet dpi low resolution ... it has no affect on the imported photo. Your suggestion to export to jpeg then convert it back works fairly well .... but it seems like the software wizzards could figure an easier way to solve this problem.

Depending on whether you need the image to be highres in VW or not the best solution is probably to import the required image at the required resolution and then reduce the file size of the PDF from within a PDF editor to reduce the resolution furter if needed for the file size(I am using BlueBeam). This way you get to keep the vector items and layers in the PDF if you need to keep them that way.

Saving the export as JPG and then convert it to PDF will make you lose layers/vectors.

• 2 years later...

Hey Guys -

Not sure if there is other info on this, but we solved this by going into the publish options, then selecting one,many,all of those to be publish sheets and hitting options then selecting downsample hi res images, and cutting the DPI to 72-96 vs. 150-300 we typically push the vector info out at.

No idea how to post screen shots of the above but its easy to get to and reguarly cuts 10-12MB PDF's to 4-5MB PDF's with very little noticeable difference etc.

thanks