3d snaps

Benson Shaw

Question

I wish for an easy way to snap to the plan projection "crossing" of two skewed edges. In the example, that would be a way to move the blue cylinder so in plan view it's centered on the crossing of the roof ridge and edge of the NURBS surface fin thing.

In plan view, the cursor can detect or snap to either the lower ridge edge or the upper fin edge, but not their virtual intersection. One can estimate the location with extreme zooming, but it's not a real snap.

Anyone work this out? Convert a copy to lines can work, sort of. NURBS faceting might throw it off.

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=9371&filename=NURBSCrossing.png

3 answers to this question

Thanks, Mike - that's a very good way to find a point on the edge!

Or one could establish a working plane on ridge line and cylinder axis, constrain the work to the working plane, and draw a 3d poly with one end snapped to the edge..

Or the convert to lines 2d locator as described above

or probably lots of other ways.

My wish remains for a 3d snap, at least in Top/Plan or working plane, or screen plane. Vectorworks recognizes both edges. It should also be able to recognize the "crossing".

In general, I think we still deserve comprehensive 3d snapping with key strokes or other ways to constrain the action/snap to a plane or axis or intersection or projected point, etc.

-B