Join the ends of two non-touching lines?

Sometimes the join function does not work on two lines. These lines where created from a "convert copy to lines" function. The error message is "Join operation could not be preformed." Not helpful at all. OK VW, you have some reason why you won't join my lines, why not help me and tell me what that reason is so I can fix it!

Is there a way to click add click add? I have a series of lines who?s ends don't meet. The Connect/Combine tool makes me click too many times. I want to click two segments to join them, then one click to add another to the already combined segments and continue one clicking to add more segments. None of the tool modes seem to do that.

Is there a way to click add click add? I have a series of lines who?s ends don't meet. The Connect/Combine tool makes me click too many times. I want to click two segments to join them, then one click to add another to the already combined segments and continue one clicking to add more segments. None of the tool modes seem to do that.

If you hold down the Alt/Opt key you can join/trim several lines to one in one go....

Bruce

With a single click on a third line, how would it know which end of the line to join to which end of the line/polygon?

mk

I would want it to join the closest end. Macromedia FreeHand was great at this task. Just select a mess of lines and say join. 95% of time the results were exactly what I wanted. RIP FreeHand!