Rendering problems

I am having problems with Final Quality RenderWorks (VW 2012 and 2008). Any cylindrical objects that I create, do not appear smooth... Lines parallel to the straight edges of cylindrical shapes don't want to disappear.

I have changed the 3D Conversion resolution in Preferences to 'Very High'. This did not help...

Any suggestions how to smooth the surfaces? Thanks in advance :-)

Scott - This may a problem with the object or with visibility settings rather than the render process. Couple things to consider or try:

1. Renders are sometimes ragged if there is a stack of one or more duplicate objects.

2. Paste one offending object into a new VW file and try the render. Adjust the settings as needed. If render is still bad, add that file to your next post (Switch to Full Reply Screen and use the File Manager)

3. If this is rendering on a design layer, look at class and layer visibility to see if several versions of the objects are superimposed.

4. If this is sheet layer viewport render, look at settings for foreground and background render. One might be set to wire frame or to hidden line or one of the modes with Show Edges.

5. Others here will have more ideas, especially if you post a small VW file with one of these misbehaving renders.

-B

Hi Benson,

No luck... :(

I have tried your suggestions but it did not work...

I have attached two files. Please have a look and let me know what you think. The objects were originally created with Preferences > 3D conversion res > set to Medium. Once the objects were created I have changed this resolution to very high but the change for some reason did not take effect.

Many thanks.

Scott,

Sorry, but my pro v2012 cannot open student v2012.

More things to look at:

? Surfaces with no fill render with lines, usually vertical, throughout the surface. Select one of the objects and add a color fill with the Attribute Palette. Render.

? Your objects may have a texture applied. Select an object and look at the texture setting in the Render tab of the OIP. Textures render only if the objects have fill. Your lines could be from a texture.

? What is the source of these objects? Were they imported from other software? or converted from earlier version? Try saving the v2012 file as a v2008 file or other version available to you.

Regarding 3d conversion preference settings: This is a global setting and will affect all objects in all open drawings. All existing 3d curved surfaces will change to more or fewer facets as the setting changes. New objects will display at the current setting. FQRW defeats the pref and renders all objects as if conversion is set to highest.

Vincent's advice is also good. Try Custom Renderworks (and make sure you have fill in the objects).

Set some of the options to highest in View>Rendering>Custom Renderworks Options. Esp Curved Geometry

Then render again with Custom Renderworks.

OK, keep trying and post back with results.

That's weird that the professional version can't open these educational files. Opening educational files used to give the watermark warning. But not opening at all, is this a new thing? I haven't seen this warning before.

(Not that I normally open or need to open educational files, but it means this list isn't really a help resource for students then.)

KM

That's weird that the professional version can't open these educational files. Opening educational files used to give the watermark warning. But not opening at all, is this a new thing? I haven't seen this warning before.

(Not that I normally open or need to open educational files, but it means this list isn't really a help resource for students then.)

Oh, brilliant.

So design students spend 3-4 years learning VW and developing a personal library of PIOS, symbols, scripts, templates, and other resources with an eye toward using after graduation, and then get out into the working world and discover that they're all unusable and they have to rebuild them all from scratch.

Now THERE's a scheme that's guaranteed to build user satisfaction and loyalty.

You really have to hand it to the VW marketing Einsteins, because when it comes to finding new ways of antagonizing customers, they're far and away the industry leader.

All - This was news to me, too. I thought I could open the Education version files. Did anyone else try to open Scott's files? I tried in v2013 Designer and v2012 Designer. Both versions produced the attached Student/Pro incompatible dialog.

Original poster, Scott M, indicated v2008 as another version he has but this file does not mount at all in my v2008 Landmark.

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=9405&filename=v2012%20error.png

Cannot open the file either asked Ozcad for clarification.

OK had confirmation from Ozcad we cannot open student files with pro

Opened the file with 2012 viewer and it appears that the object is original a generic solid which looks faceted, so if that original object could be edited to be smooth..

Edited by mar schrammeyer