extrude along path segments

when I make an extrude along path (for instance, a road way curb/gutter) and the path is a curved NURBS or other curved line, the extrude shows up as a series of small straight line segments connected to form a curve. Is there a good way to make it look more curved without the straight segments and resultant corner points ?

I've tried setting the VW preferences to show high resolution for 3D, but that doesn't cure it (but it makes it better than low resolution).

PS: i still can't figure out how to attach an image to this forum.

To attach an image use Win 7 Snipping tool.

At the lower section, below the text/message box you will see File Manager.

Click on File Manager.

Click on Browse, select file

Click on Add File

Click on Done Adding Files

See images

Edited by taoist

Is not possible...

Its a problem with the 'core' of Vectorworks and how it visualizes NURBS-curves. You can`t get it smoother...

Had the same problem with eap, and asked at Vectorworks what to do. They said that you have to export the geometry and import it in Cinema4d.

-export as IGS

-import in cinema4d

-import with a certains amount of U`s and V`s

-Export as DXF

-Import in Vectorworks....

Or you can reduce the controlpoint or split the different parts up in even more parts....

:sick:

Edited by Buzz Lightyear

thanks for the reply ... confirming my suspicions. I guess if I don't have Cinema 4D I'm out of luck. That's disappointing.

I'm surprised this isn't a constant complaint ... it seems like a basic feature that is missing. Does everyone else just put up with the "segment" affect, or does everyone else just design things without curves ?

This doesn't hold true in my experience. There is an issue with Final Quality Renderworks, curve resolution and exporting to Cinema 4D I've seen. But in VW itself you should be able to get smoother geometry than in your example.

Can you post a file with the geometry? I could only get similar results when rendering in Fast Renderworks. In Final Quality Renderworks things render smooth. Are you rendering in the Design Layers or in a Sheet Layer Viewport? Have you tried using Custom Renderworks which gives you the option to increase curve resolution?

Kevin

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=9382&filename=Screen%20Shot%202013-08-07%20at%207.03.10%20AM.png

Edited by Kevin McAllister

Kevin:

I'm rendering in a design layer and a sheet layer .. same result. I tried the Custom Renderworks option, that had no affect (even though it had been set to "low" and i reset it to 'high") i sure would like to get the result as you posted in your image ... now I know it is possible ....

Mar:

thanks for the help, but I'm still puzzled. The segment you indicated clearly looks like individual line segments, but using the OIP and cycling through the vertexes, it shows they are all 2 degree nurbs curve vertexes. If they were lines, there would be a vertex at each corner point. I don't know what you mean by "a proper curve" .

The geometry of this curve came from importing a dwg file. Is it possible there could be some hidden formatting or other issue left over from the translation ?

Domer - This vexes me as well. Why should NURBS curves be faceted? But I was able to make this curb smoother by splitting the path into a few segments. I think BuzzLightYear & Kevin have it right, but apply the ideas together - use several shorter segments and Custom RW with Curve Geometry set to Very High.

In Split Point mode, I isolated the sharpest part of the curb path with two cuts. The NURBS curves all became visibly smoother with each cut.

Then made EAP for each segment of the path and rendered.

FWRW is still pretty faceted

Custom Renderworks with Curved Geometry set to highest, produces fairly smooth surfaces.

I also tried OpenGL with highest detail, and anti aliasing is also fairly smooth.

File attached.

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=9398&filename=CustomRW.png

Edited by Benson Shaw

Mar:

OK ... I really do appreciate your advice .... thanks a lot. I am mostly satisfied with this now .... it is 'good enough' (I believe the saying goes .... "perfect is the enemy of 'good enough')

There must be a software programming issue in this somewhere... I'm hoping someone at Nemetsheck will pick this up and fix it.